1659 & 1852 - Sandes Hospital Cottages - Kendal, Cumbria, UK.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Poole/Freeman
N 54° 19.553 W 002° 44.895
30U E 516372 N 6019809
Quick Description: The Sandes Hospital Cottages originally built in 1659 and rebuilt in 1852 are located in the yard behind Highgate in Kendal town centre.
Location: North West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 11/26/2020 8:28:26 AM
Waymark Code: WM13EY3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 2

Long Description:
The Sandes Hospital Cottages originally built in 1659 and rebuilt in 1852 are located in the yard behind Highgate in Kendal town centre.

Thomas Sandes (1606-81) was a cloth merchant and former Mayor of Kendal.
He founded a school and these eight almshouses/cottages for poor widows.

The alms houses were rebuilt in 1852 by Kendal architect Miles Thompson.

The dates are located in low relief on the gable of the former library a taller building in the centre of the row. The initials S T K refer to Thomas Sandes and his wife Katherine.

A further date on the building indicates that the properties were refurbished in 1993.

The row of cottages are Grade II listed buildings. The description given by British Listed Buildings reads as follows;

"Sandes Hospital Cottages
SD 5192 NW KENDAL HIGHGATE
(West side)
7/58 Nos 1-8 (consec.),
Sandes' Hospital
14-4-69 Cottages
G.V. II
Row of Cottages. Initialled and dated in low relief on panel to gable of former library: T. & K.S. 1659 REBUILT 1852. Coursed rubble with quoins, slobbered; porches and window surrounds of dressed blocks. Graduated slate roofs with stone copings and kneelers; rendered mid and end chimneys. Symmetrical. Single storey, 15 bays overall. 4 cottages set back on either side of taller central block (former library). 3 bays with 4-centred head to plank door; pointed window to either side and oculus above, all with hoodmoulds. Cottages are arranged in pairs, each pair entered by plank door in shallow, gabled, porch; single, wood-mullioned, 2 light window to either side (some with diamond leading).
Listing NGR: SD5143592522" SOURCE: (visit link)

(visit link)
(visit link)
(visit link)
Year of construction: 1659

Full inscription:
S T K 1659 REBUILT 1852


Cross-listed waymark: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Buildings and Cornerstones
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.