Commanderie de Rayssac - Albi, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member RakeInTheCache
N 43° 54.268 E 002° 11.883
31T E 435601 N 4861574
Quick Description: [FR] La commanderie de Rayssac est établie depuis au moins le milieu du xiie siècle, avec un premier commandeur attesté dès 1150. [EN] The Rayssac commandery was established around the middle of the 12th century.
Location: Occitanie, France
Date Posted: 11/22/2020 8:53:50 AM
Waymark Code: WM13EC7
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Kelux
Views: 3

Long Description:
[FR] La présence des hospitaliers au sud-est d'Albi remonte au moins à l'année 1120 avec la donation de l'église Saint-Geniès de Puygouzon.

La commanderie de Rayssac fait partie du grand prieuré de Saint-Gilles et de la langue de Provence.

Lors de la Révolution française, la commanderie est mise sous séquestre, puis vendu aux enchères par la Régie de l'Enregistrement.

La commanderie de Rayssac se compose d'un corps de logis rectangulaire sur deux étages, en bel appareil de pierre de taille. L'édifice s'organise sur plusieurs ailes, encadrant une cour d'honneur. Au sud, une partie ruinée a été remplacé de manière plus moderne. Plusieurs tours circulaires agrémente la structure, la première, présentant quelques meurtrières, flanque le bâtiment à l'angle nord-ouest, et une seconde, renfermant l'escalier à vis, donne sur la cour par une porte ornementée.

L'édifice actuel daterait dans son grand ensemble du xve siècle.

[FR] The Hospitaller presence south-east of Albi goes back to at least the year 1120 with the donation of the Saint-Geniès church in Puygouzon.

The Rayssac commandery belonged to the grand priory of Saint-Gilles and to the Provence "langue".

The commandery was sequestered during the French Revolution and auctioned off by the Régie de l'Enregistrement.

The Rayssac commandery is made up of a rectangular two story main building, in beautiful dressed stone.

The edifice is made up of several wings around a main courtyard. To the south, a ruined section has been replaced with something more modern.

Several round towers enliven the structure, the first having arrow slits adjoins the building at the North-West corner and a second incorporating the spiral staircase, opens into the courtyard by a decorated doorway.

The present edifice dates mostly back to the 15th century.
Name of Military Order: Knights Hospitaller

Link documenting charitable acts: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Posters must have physically visited the location. Uploading an original photo is strongly encouraged.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Legacy of Medieval Spiritual Warriors
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.