Le prétoire - Sézanne - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 48° 43.464 E 003° 43.298
31U E 553072 N 5397070
Quick Description: Cet ancien château a connu depuis des siècles différentes affectation jusqu'à devenir aujourd'hui une salle de spectacle. This old castle has been used for centuries for different purposes until it became a theatre.
Location: Grand-Est, France
Date Posted: 11/9/2020 1:44:51 PM
Waymark Code: WM13CRJ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 4

Long Description:
Credits : (visit link)

"Quand Sézanne appartenait aux Comtes de Champagne, le Prétoire était un château construit aux environs de l’an 1100 par Thibaud Ier de Champagne. Rasé par Thibaud IV le Chansonnier, puis reconstruit au milieu du XVème siècle par Charles d’Orléans le prince poète, neveu du roi de France, il fit, durant des décennies, les délices de la famille d’Orléans.

Peu avant 1789, il devint une prison et un tribunal – et c’est alors qu’il prit le nom de Prétoire – et le resta durant la Révolution. Il abrita ensuite la Justice de Paix, avant d’être transformé, en 1884, en école de filles, pour une dizaine d’années.

Flanqué en 1912 d’un square au milieu duquel se dresse une statue en hommage aux morts de la guerre de 1870, il est devenu une salle municipale et accueille aujourd’hui, après une importante réhabilitation en 2008, spectacles, assemblées et conférences, réunions, banquets et vins d’honneur."

"When Sézanne belonged to the Counts of Champagne, the Prétoire was a castle built around the year 1100 by Thibaud I of Champagne. Razed by Thibaud IV the Songwriter, then rebuilt in the middle of the XVth century by Charles d'Orléans the Prince Poet, nephew of the King of France, it made, during decades, the delights of the Orléans family.

Shortly before 1789, it became a prison and a court - and it was then that it took the name of Prétoire - and remained so during the Revolution. It then housed the Justice of Peace, before being transformed, in 1884, into a girls' school for about ten years.

Flanked in 1912 by a square in the middle of which stands a statue in homage to the dead of the war of 1870, it became a municipal hall and today, after a major rehabilitation in 2008, hosts shows, assemblies and conferences, meetings, banquets and wines of honor".

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Address:
Le prétoire
Sézanne, France
51500


Web Site: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a log, you may include a photo of yourself at the former school, or a photo of the school, but it is NOT necessary. Please indicate the number of people who visited the waymark with you.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Former Schools
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.