Commanderie de Vaour - Vaour (Tarn), France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member RakeInTheCache
N 44° 04.163 E 001° 48.144
31T E 404095 N 4880276
Quick Description: [FR] Le village de Vaour fut fondé en 1160 par les chevaliers templiers. [EN] The village of Vaour was founded in 1160 by the Knights Templar.
Location: Occitanie, France
Date Posted: 11/7/2020 7:31:49 AM
Waymark Code: WM13CBC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Kelux
Views: 2

Long Description:
[FR] Les seigneurs de Penne, de Montaigut, les vicomtes de Saint-Antonin entre autres léguèrent de nombreuses terres aux Templiers dès 1140. Vingt ans plus tard, les Templiers battissent la commanderie sur une butte isolée à l'emplacement même d'un ancien lieu de rite dédié à l'eau.

A Vaour les chevaliers qui occupaient la commanderie étaient une dizaine ; le reste de la communauté se trouvait dans les nombreuses dépendances alentours : Montricoux, Cahors, Le Bastit, La Capelle-Livron, La ville Dieu, Labastide du Temple, les Albis.

Les Templiers se comportaient comme des propriétaires terriens et ils maîtrisaient l'agriculture. Tous les produits de leurs ventes servaient à financer leurs opérations en terre Sainte. A La dissolution de l’Ordre, ce sont les moines de l’Ordre de Saint Jean de Jérusalem qui s'empare de la commanderie de Vaour.

Le village fut mis à sac par les protestants en 1574, enfin la commanderie fut cédée à la municipalité après la révolution.

L'arrière de la grange est soutenu par neufs contreforts de taille imposante. La surface totale de la commanderie était de 2500 m² dont 1100 m² pour les bâtiments.

[FR] The lords of Penne, Montaigut, the viscounts of Saint-Antonin among others, bequeathed a great deal of land to the Templars beginning from 1140. Twenty years plater, the Templars built the commandery on top of an isolated butte at the site of an ancient ritual dedicated to water.

At Vaour, about ten knights occupied the commandery with the rest of the community located in the numerous outlying communities in the vicinity : Montricoux, Cahors, Le Bastit, La Capelle-Livron, La ville Dieu, Labastide du Temple, les Albis.

The Templars lived as landholders and they were proficient in agriculture. All the income from what they sold went to finance their operations in the Holy Land. Upon the disbanding of the Order, the monks of the Order of Saint John of Jerusalem took over the commandery of Vaour.

The village was sacked by the protestants in 1574, and finally the commandary was handed over to the municipality after the revolution.

The back of the barn is supported by nine imposing buttresses. The total surface area of the commandery was 2500 m² of which 1100 m² was used for the buildings.
Name of Military Order: Knights Templar

Link documenting charitable acts: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Posters must have physically visited the location. Uploading an original photo is strongly encouraged.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Legacy of Medieval Spiritual Warriors
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.