Eglise Notre-Dame - Saint Lo, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 49° 06.922 W 001° 05.680
30U E 639034 N 5442028
Quick Description: A very beautiful church in the heart of the city. Une très belle église au coeur de la ville.
Location: Normandie, France
Date Posted: 11/5/2020 12:16:02 AM
Waymark Code: WM13C2M
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:
En source Office d eTourisme Saint Lo
The Notre-Dame church was built in stages from the 13th century depending on the space available in the highly urbanized enclosure.

The 15th century builders gave so much majesty to this stone vessel dominating the upper town that it is readily given the title of cathedral.

Located at the meeting point of the second north aisle and the ambulatory built by Geoffroy Herbert, bishop of Coutances (1488-1510), offers a delicate flamboyant decor and recalls those of Brittany (Vitré, Guérande, Nantes): it was intended for the publication of acts of the civil jurisdiction of the Bishop of Coutances who was also Baron of Saint-Lô.

This pulpit was used for the open air preaching of Saint John Eudes (1642, 1663, 1675-1676) and Saint Louis-Marie Grignion de Montfort (1714) who could thus evangelize in the open air the crowd gathered in the courtyard of the episcopal palace .

In "Things seen", Victor Hugo recounts that the exterior pulpit was aligned by the municipal urban plan (1863). We owe him a drawing of the pulpit which, thanks to him, was saved from destruction.

Fr source Office d eTourisme Saint Lo
L'église Notre-Dame est construite par étapes à partir du XIIIe siècle en fonction de la place disponible dans l'enclos fortement urbanisé.

Les bâtisseurs du XVe siècle ont donné tant de majesté à ce vaisseau de pierre dominant la ville haute, qu'on lui attribue volontiers le titre de cathédrale.

Située à la rencontre du second collatéral nord et du déambulatoire construits par Geoffroy Herbert, évêque de Coutances (1488-1510), offre un délicat décor flamboyant et rappelle celles de Bretagne (Vitré, Guérande, Nantes) : elle était destinée à la publication des actes de la juridiction civile de l´Évêque de Coutances qui était aussi Baron de Saint-Lô.

Cette chaire servit aux prédications en plein air de saint Jean-Eudes (1642, 1663, 1675-1676) et de saint Louis-Marie Grignion de Montfort (1714) qui pouvaient ainsi évangéliser en plein air la foule rassemblée dans la cour du palais épiscopal.

Dans "Choses vues", Victor Hugo raconte que la chaire extérieure était frappée d´alignement par le plan d´urbanisme municipal (1863). On lui doit un dessin de la chaire qui, grâce à lui, fut sauvé de la destruction.

Office de Tourisme
Référence de la notice (from Merimee DB): PA00110582

Dénomination de l'édifice (from Merimee DB): Église

Localisation (from Merimee DB): Normandie ; Manche (50) ; Saint-Lô

Précision sur la protection de l'édifice (from Merimee DB):
Eglise Notre-Dame : classement par liste de 1840


Date de versement de la notice (Merimee DB): 1/1/1840

Relevant Website: [Web Link]

Photo with MH logo pictured included?: no

Adresse de l'édifice (from Merimee DB): Not listed

Siècle de la campagne principale de construction (from Merimee DB): Not listed

Visit Instructions:
[EN] Include at minimum a complete sentence which reflects your experience visiting the site and upload a photo taken by you at the site.

[FR] Ecrivez au moins une phrase complète qui décrira votre expérience lors de la visite et téléchargez une photo du site prise par vous.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Monuments Historiques Français
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.