St Peter - Hook Norton, Oxfordshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 51° 59.718 W 001° 29.048
30U E 604072 N 5761601
Quick Description: Medieval church of St Peter, Hook Norton.
Location: Southern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 10/30/2020 12:05:46 PM
Waymark Code: WM13B6R
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 2

Long Description:
"St. Peter's church was first registered in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle of 922 AD. The current building includes a Chancel dating back to the 12th Century, and an 11th Century font, which draws visitors from far and wide. There have been considerable additions to the building, many dating back to the 15th and 16th Centuries, including an impressive tower, which houses the bells that are still rung weekly (bell-ringing practice is on Thursday evenings). St. Peter's also houses the village's original fire engine, known as 'The Sentinel', which was last used in 1896."

SOURCE - (visit link)

"Parish Church. Romanesque chancel and north transept. Late C12 Transitional south transept and south aisle. Nave and north aisle EE/DEC. C14 Perpendicular clerestory and west tower. Porch rebuilt in 1825. Regular ironstone rubble and ashlar with lead roof. Nave, chancel, north transept, north aisle, south transept continuous with south aisle, west tower, south porch. Chancel has 2 round-headed Romanesque windows with hood moulds and stops in both north and south walls. 2-light Decorated windows in north aisle. Chancel: East window curvilinear. Windows of south aisle: intersecting tracery and a form of curvilinear tracery with triangular shapes in heads. Perp. north window in north transept; Perp. clerestory with 5-light window over chancel arch. West tower of 4 stages with embattled parapet, 8 pinnacles and gargoyles; west doorway with square hood mould with quatrefoils in spandrels. Pilaster buttresses and string course to Romanesque chancel. Blocked doorways in east wall of north transept; south wall of chancel and north wall of north aisle. Latter includes blocked jambs, imposts and tympanum of a Romanesque doorway. South doorway E.E. with two orders of roll moulding and jamb shafts and capitals carved with bunched leaves. Interior: Nave has blocked staircase to rood; north arcade of 3 bays with short octagonal piers and double- chamfered arches. 4th bay later with high arch to transept. South aisle has tall octagonal piers and Perp. east bay opening to transept. East chancel arch has imposts of earlier arch. Chancel contains double piscina and 2-seat sedilia in south wall; round-headed niche in east wall and another in north wall formerly doorway. Fittings: Romanesque font with carved figures including Adam and Eve and the signs of the zodiac. Pulpit 1882. Wall paintings: C15 over chancel arch and C14 fragment over south arcade. Stained glass: east window 1881 by Ward and Hughes; south aisle east window possibly by Morris. Monuments: north transept to John Croker dated 1568, to Anne wife of Thomas Wise 1703, part of Elizabethan tomb and large stone with matrix. Nave has memorials and floor stone to family of Lampet 1781 - 1858. "

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.