Maison Estignard - Périgueux, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 45° 11.083 E 000° 43.317
31T E 321032 N 5005994
Quick Description: [EN] The Estignard house, also called the Estignard hotel, the Fayard hotel or the Renaissance house, was built in the 16th century. [FR] La maison Estignard, également appelée hôtel Estignard, hôtel Fayard ou maison Renaissance, a été édifiée au XVIe siècle.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 10/30/2020 9:00:27 AM
Waymark Code: WM13B5D
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 2

Long Description:

"The construction of the Estignard house dates back to between the 14th and 16th centuries. Around 1630, it was bought and occupied by Jean du Chesne and his family. The house was then the home of the Faure de Rochefort family in the 18th century. then, after the French Revolution, that of Déglane.

The house owes its name to Jean Étienne Joseph Estignard (1787-1873), mayor of Périgueux, who is one of the owners who lived there for a long time in the 19th century, after marrying Claire Déglane, the heiress of the House. Before his death, Jean Estignard asked that the mansion be bequeathed to the city of Périgueux, but the transfer did not take place. In 1889, the house was listed as a historical monument. The house passes by marriage to the Lapeyre family, then to the Audy family.

After a deliberation by the municipal council on August 8, 1951, the Estignard house was sold to the city on March 8, 1952, with the agreement of its owners (Jean Michel Audy, Marie Julie Gaudet widow of Jean Joseph Audy, and Eva Hélène Lehmann wife by Jean Michel Audy). The house was restored in 1953, then in 2001 for roofing work.

Belonging to the city of Périgueux, the building was sold in June 2020 to a company that already owns the Château de La Tour-Blanche

The main building extends along Rue Limogeanne. To the west is a more modest main building. Externally, the richly sculpted facades feature numerous mullioned windows. In 2020, the ground floor on Rue Limogeanne will be occupied by two businesses, a jewelry store and a cutlery.

The south entrance of the house opens onto a small interior courtyard dominated by an imposing gable.

Inside, the building has a spiral staircase, huge fireplaces, a 16th century wooden ceiling and 18th century stained glass windows. The door leading to the staircase was decorated with the salamander of François I and would have been built by Raymond de Fayard, a Perigord magistrate. On the third floor, paintings with small white shields on a gray background, imitating a heraldic fur, adorn the walls.

Historian Guy Penaud considers the Estignard house to be “one of the masterpieces of the Perigord Renaissance”. Unfortunately, it is private property that cannot be visited. "

Sources : The House From what Wikipedia tells us.

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" La construction de la maison Estignard remonte entre les XIVe et XVIe siècles. Vers 1630, elle est achetée et occupée par Jean du Chesne et sa famille. La demeure est ensuite le foyer de la famille des Faure de Rochefort au XVIIIe siècle puis, après la Révolution française, celui des Déglane.

La maison doit son nom à Jean Étienne Joseph Estignard (1787-1873), maire de Périgueux, qui est l'un des propriétaires qui l'a longtemps habitée au XIXe siècle, après s'être marié avec Claire Déglane, l'héritière de la demeure. Avant son décès, Jean Estignard demande à ce que l'hôtel particulier soit légué à la ville de Périgueux, mais la cession n'a pas lieu. En 1889, la maison est classée au titre des monuments historiques. La maison passe par alliance à la famille Lapeyre, puis à la famille Audy.

Après une délibération du conseil municipal le 8 août 1951, la maison Estignard est vendue à la ville le 8 mars 1952, avec l'accord de ses propriétaires (Jean Michel Audy, Marie Julie Gaudet veuve de Jean Joseph Audy, et Eva Hélène Lehmann épouse de Jean Michel Audy). La maison est restaurée en 1953, puis en 2001 pour des travaux de toiture.

Appartenant à la ville de Périgueux, l'édifice est vendu en juin 2020 à une société, déjà propriétaire du château de La Tour-Blanche.

Le corps de logis principal s'étend le long de la rue Limogeanne. À l'ouest est accolé un corps de logis plus modeste. Extérieurement, les façades richement sculptées présentent de nombreuses fenêtres à meneaux. En 2020, le rez-de-chaussée sur la rue Limogeanne est occupé par deux commerces, une bijouterie et une coutellerie.

L'entrée sud de la maison donne sur une petite cour intérieure dominée par un pignon imposant.

À l'intérieur, l'édifice recèle un escalier en colimaçon, d'immenses cheminées, un plafond en bois du XVIe siècle et des vitraux du XVIIIe siècle. La porte qui donne sur l'escalier était décorée de la salamandre de François Ier et aurait été construite par Raymond de Fayard, un magistrat périgourdin. Au troisième étage, des peintures avec des petits écus blancs sur fond gris, imitant une fourrure héraldique, ornent les murs.

L'historien Guy Penaud considère la maison Estignard comme « l'un des chefs-d'œuvre de la Renaissance périgourdine ». C'est malheureusement une propriété privée qui ne se visite pas. "

Sources : La Maison D'après ce que nous dit Wikipédia.

Date of origin:: 16th century - 1520

Style: High Renaissance (ca. 1500–1550)

Web site of the object (if exists): [Web Link]

Type of building (structure): Town-house

Address:
3 et 5 rue Limogeanne. 24000 Périgueux France


Architect(s): Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photo of the building. You or your GPS can be in the picture, but it’s not a requirement.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Renaissance Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Maison Estignard - Périgueux, France 10/5/2020 pmaupin visited it