St Edward the Confessor Church Lychgate - Cheddleton, Staffordshire,UK.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Poole/Freeman
N 53° 04.125 W 002° 02.688
30U E 564001 N 5880344
Quick Description: The lychgate of the Parish Church of St Edward the Confessor is located on Hollow Lane in the Village of Cheddleton.
Location: North West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 10/26/2020 9:59:16 AM
Waymark Code: WM13AGP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 7

Long Description:
The Parish Church of St Edward the Confessor is an Anglican church that is part of the United Benefice of St Edward's Cheddleton, St. Michael's Horton, St. Chad's Longsdon and St. Lawrence Rushton Spencer.

The church is a Grade II* listed building and dates back to the 13th century. The description given by Historic England can be seen at the following link: (visit link)

The church is dedicated to St. Edward the Confessor. The earliest church at this location was built in the last decade of the twelfth century. Much of the existing building dates from the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries with the tower and porch from the late sixteenth century. During the 1770's and 1860's major restorations were undertaken.
The church is particularly noted for its fine stained glass windows by William Morris and Edward Burne Jones.

The stone lychgate, in memory of the Reverend Samuel Bradshaw, was designed by George Gilbert Scott Junior. A white stone statue wearing long robes and holding a cross is located in a niche on the churchyard side of the lychgate facing the church.

The lychgate is a Grade II listed structure.
The description given by British Listed Buildings reads as follows;

"CHEDDLETON C.P.
HOLLOW LANE
(north side)
Lychgate to Church of St Edward
GV II
Lychgate. Circa 1876, by George Gilbert Scott Junior. Ashlar jointed blocks, including roof. Gabled single-storey front, pointed entry arch inset in recessed panel, corbelled out at head by floral motifs; 3 stepped lancet-openings over in ribbed panels, also with coats-of-arms over; clasping buttress sides stepped-in in 2 stages with quatrefoil frieze at impost level. The interior has a stone-ribbed vault.
Listing NGR: SJ9709452389"
SOURCE: (visit link)

(visit link)
(visit link)
(visit link)
Year: 1876

Cemetery Address:
Hollow Lane, Cheddleton, Leek, Staffordshire, UK. ST13 7HP


Link to Church or Cemetery: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Include at least one photo of the lychgate or Depositoire taken by yourself. A short description of, or comment on, your visit is required, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Lychgates and Depositories
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.