Église Saint-Pierre - Jarnac, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 45° 40.817 W 000° 10.633
30T E 719828 N 5062401
Quick Description: [EN] Church of the priory of Saint-Pierre which belonged to the abbey of Saint-Cybard d'Angoulême (8th century), the Benedictines then the Augustinian canons regular succeeded in the 9th century. [FR] Eglise du prieuré Saint-Pierre qui appartenait à l'abbaye Saint-Cybard d'Angoulême (VIIIe siècle), les Bénédictins puis les chanoines réguliers augustins s'y succédèrent au IXe siècle.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 10/12/2020 2:47:00 AM
Waymark Code: WM138JR
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 2

Long Description:

"The church of Saint-Pierre, former Benedictine priory of the diocese of Saintes, archpriest of Jarnac, belonged to the abbey of Saint-Cybard d'Angoulême from the 8th century; the primitive church, probably in wood, is attested depend from the year 773 on Saint-Cybard.

The bases of the bell tower and the nave clearly recall the characters of the early Romanesque. There was a complete arrangement of the old monument towards the end of the 11th century; a door with three archivolts was built; pilasters are established with half columns in the nave. The current choir, with its arches, dates back to this time and had to overcome a crypt; we can still clearly see the birth of a semicircular apse extending from the choir.

In the 13th century, there was a second more complete restoration: the walls were raised; high buttresses were built to support the thrust of the vaults. A bell tower, with lancet windows, was built on a dome supported by four piles, independent of the old cage of the old campanile. A rectangular apse replaced the 11th century apse and a beautiful crypt was built under the apse.

In the 14th century, it was the seat of the archpriest of Jarnac, which had around forty parishes including almost all of northern Cognac, from the Guirlande stream in the east to the Antenna in the west. Very altered at various times, it was partly destroyed by the Protestants in 1562.

The old pre-Romanesque facade, which was one of the finest specimens of 12th century architectural art, and in need of restoration was destroyed and completely redone in uncertain style in 1898, by the then mayor .

The crypt 'La Michaude': so nicknamed by the Jarnacais since it is dedicated to St Michael the Archangel who is found in the caryatid at the North East corner of the square plan and in rock painting on the East face to the left of the old window overlooking the garden of the cure.

Built in the 13th century, this crypt has been classified as a historical monument since 1960, when the first restoration works were carried out. From the central pillar emerge four pointed vaults, each lowered with eight ribs, resting on the one hand on Romanesque columns and on the other hand on four caryatids at the corners.

The whole crypt was adorned with frescoes in soft tones dotted with ocher florets, telling the illiterate faithful of the time, like a comic strip, some portraits of saints, of which only three remain. St Michael in his two functions, that of conqueror of the demon and that of weigher of souls at the entrance to paradise. St Luke the Evangelist holding the Bible in his right hand and on the south wall, a St Nicholas blessing three children coming out of the salting tub. Place of this justified Saint, because St Nicolas is the patron saint of boatmen, an important corporation along the Charente river.

On the ground near the west wall, a plaque recalling that this crypt served as an ossuary, part of the Comte de Jarnac family of which were buried there from 1654 to 1707. In 1974 stained glass windows, the work of the workshops of the Abbey of St Benoît sur Loire, have completed its restoration. "

Sources : The Church

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" L’église Saint-Pierre, ancien prieuré bénédictin du diocèse de Saintes, archiprêtré de Jarnac, appartient à l’abbaye Saint-Cybard d’Angoulême dès le VIIIe siècle ; l’église primitive, probablement en bois, est attestée dépendre dès l’an 773 de Saint-Cybard.

Les bases du clocher et de la nef rappellent nettement les caractères du roman primitif. Il y eut un aménagement complet du vieux monument vers la fin du XIe siècle ; on construisit une porte à trois archivoltes; on établit les pilastres avec demi-colonnes dans la nef. Le chœur actuel, avec ses arcatures, remonte à cette époque et devait surmonter une crypte ; on voit encore nettement la naissance d’une abside semi-circulaire en prolongement du chœur.

Au XIIIe siècle, il y eut une deuxième restauration plus complète : on suréleva les murailles ; on construisit de hauts contreforts pour soutenir la poussée des voûtes. Un clocher, avec fenêtres à lancette, fut établi sur une coupole portée par quatre piles, indépendante de la vieille cage de l’ancien campanile. Un chevet rectangulaire remplaça l’abside du XIe siècle et une belle crypte fut construite sous le chevet.

Au XIVe siècle, elle est le siège de l’archiprêtré de Jarnac qui compte une quarantaine de paroisses incluant presque tout le nord du Cognaçais, du ruisseau la Guirlande à l’est à l’Antenne à l’ouest. Très remaniée à diverses époques, elle a été en partie détruite par les protestants en 1562.

La vieille façade préromane, qui était l’un des plus beaux spécimens de l’art architectural du XIIe siècle, et avait besoin d’être restaurée a été détruite et entièrement refaite dans un style incertain en 1898, par la maire de l’époque.

La crypte ‘La Michaude’ : surnommée ainsi par les jarnacais puisqu’elle est dédiée à St Michel archange que l’on trouve en cariatide à l’angle Nord Est du plan carré et en peinture rupestre sur la face Est à gauche de l’ancienne fenêtre donnant dans le jardin de la cure.

Construite au XIIIe siècle, cette crypte est classée monument historique depuis 1960 date des premiers travaux de restauration. Du pilier central jaillissent quatre voûtes en ogive surbaissées de huit nervures chacune et s’appuient d’une part sur des colonnettes romanes et d’autre part aux angles sur quatre cariatides.

Toute la crypte était ornée de fresques aux tons doux parsemées de fleurons ocres racontant aux fidèles illettrés de l’époque comme une bande dessinée, quelques portraits de saints dont il n’en reste que trois. St Michel en ses deux fonctions, celle de vainqueur du démon et celle de peseur d’âmes à l’entrée du paradis. St Luc l’évangéliste tenant la bible dans sa main droite et sur le mur sud, un St Nicolas bénissant trois enfants sortant du saloir. Place de ce Saint justifié, car St Nicolas est le patron des bateliers, corporation importante le long du fleuve Charente.

Sur le sol près du mur Ouest une plaque rappelant que cette crypte a servi d’ossuaire dont une partie de la famille des Comte de Jarnac y furent ensevelis de 1654 à 1707. En 1974 des vitraux, œuvre des ateliers de l’Abbaye de St Benoît sur Loire, ont complété sa restauration. "

Sources : L’Eglise

Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Église Saint-Pierre - Jarnac, France 10/6/2020 pmaupin visited it