Château de La Rochefoucauld - La Rochefoucauld, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 45° 44.493 E 000° 22.800
31T E 296186 N 5068671
Quick Description: [EN] The castle of La Rochefoucauld located in La Rochefoucauld in Charente, is a Renaissance castle built largely around 1520 on the site of an 11th century feudal fortress whose towers have been preserved. [FR] Le château de La Rochefoucauld situé à La Rochefoucauld en Charente, est un château renaissance construit en grande partie vers 1520 à l'emplacement d'un forteresse féodale du XIe siècle dont ont été conservées les tours.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 10/8/2020 11:09:33 AM
Waymark Code: WM1384H
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 2

Long Description:

"22 km from Angoulême, the Château de la Rochefoucauld is an old medieval fortress embellished in the 16th century. In addition to its Renaissance facade and its typical dormers, a large number of its rooms are open to visitors: lounges, boudoir , kitchens and large libraries with thousands of volumes.

The castle and its park were classified as a historical monument in 1955. For more than a thousand years, it has been the residence of the Dukes of La Rochefoucauld.

The first fortified castle of La Rochefoucauld was built around 1026 on a rock overlooking the Tardoire.

In 1019 Foucauld, Lord of La Roche, appears in an act of the cartulary of Uzerche: he attends with his sons, his daughter Ava and his son-in-law, Aimery Ostafranc, at a donation from the Viscount of Limoges of the church of Nieuil to the Uzerche abbey.

In a document from the Abbey of Saint-Cybard d'Angoulême dated 1026, Foucauld is described as a very noble lord: “vir nobilissimus Fulcaudus de castrum qui vocatur Rocha”: this is the first mention of the castle.

It is undoubtedly this lord who made build, at that time, the first 16 m of the keep of 11.78 × 12.06 m of side and the walls have a thickness between 2.30 to 2.50 m provided with 80 cm wide flat buttresses in the middle of the sides and in the corners. The joint between the two states of the keep is still visible on the inside of the castle. This keep has a structure similar to those built at the same time by the Count of Anjou, Foulques Nerra: Langeais in 994, Loches around 1030.

François II de La Rochefoucauld (1494-1533), married to Anne de Polignac, had most of the castle built: two main buildings, superimposed galleries, the chapel and a large spiral staircase in the same design as that of the castle de Bonnivet in Poitou, destroyed at the beginning of the 19th century.

A unique case in France, the galleries are superimposed on three floors according to an Italian model (Palazzo Farnese). The Renaissance castle retains the elements of the previous castle (in particular the keep and the towers): the layout is designed so that the keep remains clearly visible both from the exterior of the castle and from the interior of the courtyard.

In 1760 the 17th century wing, which burned down, was rebuilt. The archives of the castle are destroyed during the Revolution. Access to the castle is from the plateau side, through a pavilion dating from the beginning of the 17th century1. The building is preceded by a large parterre on which the facade of the main building dating from the 16th century develops.

The castle, emptied, remains uninhabited for many years. During the Second World War, it was used as an archives, then, delivered to the troops of the Occupation, it came out in a state of advanced dilapidation, which only worsened 40 years later.

In 2013, after more than a thousand years of occupation, the castle still belongs to the La Rochefoucauld family in the person of François 15th Duke of La Rochefoucauld who inherited the castle in 1972 from his grandfather. "

Sources : The Castle From what Wikipedia tells us.

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" A 22 km d'Angoulême, le château de la Rochefoucauld est une ancienne forteresse médiévale embellie au XVIe siècle. Outre sa façade Renaissance et ses lucarnes typiques, un grand nombre de ses pièces est ouvert à la visite : salons, boudoir, cuisines et grandes bibliothèques riches de milliers de volumes.

Le château et son parc ont été classés monument historique en 1955. Depuis plus de mille ans, il est la résidence des Ducs de La Rochefoucauld.

Le premier château fortifié de La Rochefoucauld a été construit vers 1026 sur un rocher surplombant la Tardoire.

En 1019 Foucauld, seigneur de La Roche, apparaît dans un acte du cartulaire d'Uzerche : il assiste avec ses fils, sa fille Ava et son gendre, Aimery Ostafranc, à une donation du vicomte de Limoges de l'église de Nieuil à l'abbaye d'Uzerche.

Dans un document de l'abbaye de Saint-Cybard d'Angoulême daté de 1026 , Foucauld est qualifié de seigneur très noble : « vir nobilissimus Fulcaudus de castrum qui vocatur Rocha » : c'est la première mention du château.

C'est sans doute ce seigneur qui fait construire, à cette époque , les premiers 16 m du donjon de 11,78 × 12,06 m de côté et les murs ont une épaisseur comprise entre 2,30 à 2,50 m munis de contreforts plats de 80 cm de largeur au milieu des côtés et dans les angles. Le joint de reprise entre les deux états du donjon est encore visible côté intérieur du château. Ce donjon a une structure proche de ceux construits à la même époque par le comte d'Anjou, Foulques Nerra : Langeais en 994, Loches vers 1030.

François II de La Rochefoucauld (1494-1533), marié à Anne de Polignac, fait construire la plus grande partie du château : deux corps de logis, des galeries superposées, la chapelle et un grand escalier en colimaçon du même dessin que celui du château de Bonnivet en Poitou, détruit au début du XIXe siècle.

Cas unique en France, les galeries sont superposées sur trois étages selon un modèle italien (palais Farnèse). Le château Renaissance conserve les éléments du château précédent (en particulier le donjon et les tours) : l'agencement est étudié pour que le donjon reste bien visible tant de l'extérieur du château que de l'intérieur de la cour.

En 1760 l'aile XVIIe siècle, qui a brûlé, est reconstruite. Les archives du château sont détruites à la Révolution. L'accès au château se fait du côté du plateau, à travers un pavillon datant du début du 17e siècle1. L'édifice est précédé d'un vaste parterre sur lequel se développe la façade du corps de logis datant du 16e siècle.

Le château, vidé, reste inhabité pendant de longues années. Pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale, il sert de dépôt d'archives, puis, livré aux troupes d'Occupation, il en sort dans un état de délabrement avancé, qui ne fait que s'aggraver 40 ans plus tard.

En 2013, après plus de mille ans d'occupation, le château appartient toujours à la famille de La Rochefoucauld en la personne de François 15e duc de La Rochefoucauld qui hérita du château en 1972 de son grand-père. "

Sources : Le Château D'après ce que nous dit Wikipédia.

Date of origin:: 14th century / 14ème siècle

Style: Renaissance (ca. 1400–1500)

Web site of the object (if exists): [Web Link]

Type of building (structure): Chateau or castle

Address:
Le Château, 16110 La Rochefoucauld, France


Architect(s): Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photo of the building. You or your GPS can be in the picture, but it’s not a requirement.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Renaissance Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Château de La Rochefoucauld - La Rochefoucauld, France 10/8/2020 pmaupin visited it