823 Baker Street - Nelson, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
N 49° 29.641 W 117° 17.333
11U E 479080 N 5482415
Quick Description: On the north side of Baker Street, number 823 is the last house on the east end of the street.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 9/12/2020 12:11:44 PM
Waymark Code: WM134AQ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 0

Long Description:
An Alexander Carrie house, this 1½ storey bungalow was constructed in 1908 for George Motion, a Nelson businessman and manager of the West Transfer Company. The house is an excellent example of Late Victorian Vernacular, with prominent asymmetrical gables, barge boards, diamond panes and bay windows. Somewhat similar to High Victorian, its horizontal massing makes it Late Victorian.

In a state of excellent preservation, the building is now used for various medical offices.
823 Baker St
DESCRIPTION OF HISTORIC PLACE
823 Baker Street is a 2-storey wood-framed bungalow with front verandah. It is located on the northwest corner of the intersection of Baker and Cedar Streets, on the eastern edge of the core commercial area of Nelson, B.C.

HERITAGE VALUE
The house at 823 Baker Street is important for its cultural and aesthetic values, particularly as a fine example of houses built for the managerial class in Nelson in the early 20th century. Constructed in 1908, the house is significant as a representative of the housing stock developed for the managerial class that developed in Nelson during its years of expansion, just prior to the First World War.

Designed by prominent local architect Alexander Carrie, the house was built in 1908 for George Motion, a Nelson businessman who owned a local grain, feed, and provisions business. In 1901, Mr. Motion became the owner of the West Transfer Company, which shipped coal, wood, and commodities for Imperial Oil. These activities were representative of the general prosperity of Nelson at the time, cementing the city’s role as a transportation hub for the forestry and mining industries, and as the centre for a developing agricultural sector in the West Kootenay. The West Transfer Company was operated by Mr. Motion’s widow Augusta for many years until her death in 1964.

The location of the house is important as a marker of the limits of the downtown commercial district.

Situated near the headquarters of the companies that George Motion managed, the house shows that the eastern end of Baker Street provided a prestigious address near the commercial pulse of the city during the early boom years.

Particularly when contrasted with the 1909 Arts and Crafts Walter Riblet bungalow next door, the house’s picturesque, almost Victorian, character reflects the eclecticism of Nelson’s residential building styles of the time.
From the City of Nelson Heritage Register, Page 108
Photo goes Here
Official Heritage Registry: [Web Link]

Address:
823 Baker St
Nelson, BC
V1L 4J8


Heritage Registry Page Number: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Waymark in this category at least one photo of the property, taken by the visitor, must be included with the visit, as well any comments they have concerning either their visit or the site itself. Suggested inclusions are: what you like about the site, its history, any deviations from the description in the heritage listing noted by the visitor, and the overall state of repair of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Western Canadian Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.