The Jam Factory - Nelson, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
N 49° 29.518 W 117° 17.840
11U E 478467 N 5482190
Quick Description: The Jammery, for many years home to the Academy of Classical Oriental Sciences, is two blocks less a street west of Nelson's historic Courthouse.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 9/10/2020 2:46:20 PM
Waymark Code: WM1340X
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 1

Long Description:
The MacDonald Jam Factory was built in 1911 by James Albert (Long Jim) McDonald, who had started a wholesale fruit and vegetable business and jam factory in 1909. Built with two foot thick granite walls, it was designed by renowned and prolific local architect Alexander Carrie.

While the McDonald Jam Company had been in business since 1909, they didn't erect this building until 1911. In that year the proprietor, Long Jim McDonald, placed this ad on the second page of the October 2 issue of the Nelson Daily News. Ad goes Here With the slow demise of the local fruit industry in the 1940s, the plant was converted to produce soft drinks. It thus remained operational until 1962.

Founded in 1996, the Academy of Classical Oriental Sciences took over the building at that time, remaining in the building for several years. Known as the Kootenay Columbia College of Integrative Health Sciences since 2016, the College/Academy is now a block south, on Baker Street.
The Jam Factory
DESCRIPTION OF HISTORIC PLACE
The Jam Factory building is a two-story stonefaced rectangular structure that steps down the grade and is located on the west side of Vernon Street in Nelson, B.C.

HERITAGE VALUE
The Jam Factory building is important for its historical associations to Nelson’s agricultural industry, as part of the local economy during the key years of Nelson’s development.

Constructed in 1911, the two storey rectangular frame structure was purpose built as a jam factory, and expanded along with the business: a stone warehouse was added in 1920, and a three-storey addition was completed in 1925. By necessity, the design included two foot thick granite walls which also served as retaining walls along Vernon Street. Its location on Vernon Street among other warehouses gave the business access to the rail and shipping facilities on the lakefront.

Established in 1909, the wholesale fruit and vegetable house and jam factory operated by James Albert McDonald (Long Jim McDonald) met a need in the community, creating a viable business and employing many city residents. The enterprise was a success, eventually shipping jam to the prairies as far east as Winnipeg. James McDonald served as Alderman, Mayor and MLA for Nelson.

The building is significant for its original use as a jam factory, representative of the orcharding and agricultural industries that grew up in Nelson and environs. Although Nelson imported most of its fruit and vegetables by train from Spokane early in the 20th century, the local industry began to thrive as Nelson and area farmers were encouraged to grow more fruit, particularly strawberries and raspberries. As evidence of the extent of the local and regional fruit-growing industry, supplies for the jam factory were shipped by train and sternwheeler from regional growers all over the West Kootenay and delivered to the Nelson wharf.

The building is important as a reflection of the diversification of Nelson’s local economy during the city’s years of rapid growth just prior to World War II. The longevity of the business is also important, with jam being manufactured from local fruit until its gradual decline due to economic factors in the years following World War II. The McDonald Jam Factory became a casualty of a combination of factors, including the cessation of fruit production in the region, increasing freight costs and the expansion of larger corporations into smaller markets. After WW ll the company went into the manufacturing of soft drinks until it ceased this operation in 1962. The building has now been adapted for use as the Academy of Classical and Oriental Sciences and various studios.

The Jam Factory building is significant for its design by local architect Alexander Carrie, a well-known, talented and prolific local architect whose career spanned over 52 years in Nelson and the Kootenays. The stone-clad building is simple in form with an industrial, yet elegant, aesthetic.
From the City of Nelson Heritage Register, Page 104
Photo goes Here
Official Heritage Registry: [Web Link]

Address:
303 Vernon Street
Nelson, BC
V1L 4E3


Heritage Registry Page Number: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Waymark in this category at least one photo of the property, taken by the visitor, must be included with the visit, as well any comments they have concerning either their visit or the site itself. Suggested inclusions are: what you like about the site, its history, any deviations from the description in the heritage listing noted by the visitor, and the overall state of repair of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Western Canadian Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
T0SHEA visited The Jam Factory - Nelson, BC 9/12/2020 T0SHEA visited it