Inland Cigar Factory - Kamloops, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
N 50° 40.529 W 120° 20.332
10U E 688016 N 5617117
Quick Description: Built in 1895, this building was used as a cigar factory until 1913, when the factory outgrew the premises and moved. Taken over at that time by a bakery, the building still stands on the corner of Seymour Street and First Avenue.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 8/28/2020 11:04:50 AM
Waymark Code: WM131WK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 0

Long Description:
Established in 1894 by George Borthwick, the Inland Cigar Factory building came into being the following year. The factory employed twenty-five workers, producing up to 4,000 cigars a day. With a careful eye to detail and quality, Borthwick brought in consultants from Cuba to demonstrate how authentic Cuban cigars should be rolled.

When the company moved to Victoria in 1908, five former employees formed the Western Cigar Manufacturing Company, keeping the industry alive in Kamloops for several more years. In 1913, they moved into the building next door. The original factory building became the Model Bakery, operated by the Fuoco family for many years, becoming famous for their bread. Over the years, the business district moved farther east down Victoria Street, and 1st Avenue declined as a commercial area. Successive business have occupied the old factory, and the original wood and brick building had been stuccoed and painted over.

Today the building has been restored, the stucco and paint now removed, with the original brick and wood resplendent in the noon day sun. It is presently the home of Venture Kamloops, a collaborative entrepreneurship resource program dedicated to providing business planning, employment skills training, finance connections and access to local business resources in Kamloops.
Inland Cigar Factory
DESCRIPTION OF HISTORIC PLACE
The Inland Cigar Factory is a two-storey, red-brick Victorian-era industrial building with a corbelled cornice, arched second-floor window openings and a recessed central entry. It is situated on an angled lot at the southwest corner of First Avenue and Seymour Street in downtown Kamloops.

HERITAGE VALUE
Built in 1895, the Inland Cigar Factory is significant for its ties to the agricultural history of Kamloops and is symbolic of the once-thriving local cigar manufacturing industry. The building was erected as the headquarters and factory of the Inland Cigar Factory, which had been established in 1894 by George A. Borthwick (1866-1927) and restructured in 1895 by Marshall Pollock Gordon (1862-1929), a furniture store owner and three-term mayor of Kamloops. Tobacco for the cigars was imported from Cuba and blended with locally grown tobacco. To demonstrate the technique of rolling authentic Cuban cigars, the company brought in consultants from Cuba. At its height, the company employed a staff of twenty-five who produced up to 4,000 cigars per day. The Inland Cigar Factory continued to operate in this space until 1913 when they moved next door; this space was then taken over by the Model Bakery.

The Inland Cigar Factory is also valued as a reminder of the location of Kamloops’ first commercial district, which was centred on Victoria Street West. Over time the commercial district has shifted further east down Victoria Street.

Furthermore, the Inland Cigar Factory has architectural value as an example of a vernacular industrial structure from the Victorian era. The walls are constructed of local pressed red brick.

CHARACTER-DEFINING ELEMENTS
Key characteristics that define the heritage character of the Inland Cigar Factory include its:
- prominent location on an angled lot at the corner of First Avenue and Victoria Street West
- industrial form, scale and massing as expressed by its two-storey height, symmetrical front façade, rectangular plan and flat roof, with no front or side setbacks
- masonry construction with common red-brick cladding with flush-struck mortar joints, segmental arched second-floor window openings, blind arched opening above the central entry with rubbed brick outline and herringbone infill, corbelled cornice, stone and brick foundation, interior wood-framing
- early prefabricated galvanized drainage scuppers at rear
From Historic Places Canada
Photo goes Here
Official Heritage Registry: [Web Link]

Address:
295 1st Avenue
Kamloops, BC
V2C 3J3


Heritage Registry Page Number: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Waymark in this category at least one photo of the property, taken by the visitor, must be included with the visit, as well any comments they have concerning either their visit or the site itself. Suggested inclusions are: what you like about the site, its history, any deviations from the description in the heritage listing noted by the visitor, and the overall state of repair of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Western Canadian Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.