W.R. Trench House - Kelowna, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
N 49° 53.131 W 119° 29.166
11U E 321415 N 5528865
Quick Description: A 1½ storey Arts & Crafts style bungalow built for a druggist, this house has grown, as has the city, through the years.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 8/24/2020 12:13:20 PM
Waymark Code: WM131AE
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 0

Long Description:
Manitoba transplants, the Trenches arrived in Kelowna in 1908 and were soon to become fixtures in the community, William Robert Trench operating a drug store under his name until 1935. Simultaneously, he became active in local politics, serving the city on several boards, later becoming an alderman and, finally, mayor of the City of Kelowna from 1934 to 1935.

The trenches had this residence built in 1911, living in it until building a new home in the mid 1920s. Since that time it has welcomed a series of new owners and has undergone a similar series of upgrades and additions, none of which appear to have detracted from its appearance or its heritage value.

Following is text from the historical marker at the residence.
W.R. Trench House
William Robert Trench and Elizabeth Laura Trench moved to Kelowna from Manitoba in 1908. William Trench opened a pharmacy on Bernard in partnership with Mr. Currie. Soon he had his own company, W.R. Trench Ltd., located at the corner of Bernard Ave. and Water St., which he operated until 1935 when he sold to G.A. Elliott and J.D. Whitham, who retained the Trench name.

He served his community for more than 20 years, sitting on the School Board from 1912 to 1919, president of the Board of Trade in 1926 and 1927, Alderman in 1932 and 1933, and mayor in 1934 and 1935.

Built in 1911, the original form, a small squarish, hipped-roof cottage with a front porch, can still be discerned. It is engulfed in additions done partly in 1971, which have enhanced the heritage character.

A one and one-half storey height and rectangular plan with extensions. There is a small bay window on the street level and medium-pitch roof with gabled additions. There are two corbelled brick chimneys.
W.R. Trench House
DESCRIPTION OF HISTORIC PLACE
The historic place is the one-and-one-half-storey W.R. Trench House, built in 1911 and located at 784 Lawrence Avenue in Kelowna's North Central neighbourhood.

HERITAGE VALUE
The heritage value of the W.R. Trench House lies in its association with W.R. Trench, who was prominent in civic and commercial affairs in the community, and with subsequent owners, who contributed to the commercial sector. It is also valued for its architecture. There is value in its growth over the years, as the original cottage was enlarged to accommodate the changing expectations of homeowners.

William Robert and Elizabeth Laura Trench moved to Kelowna from Manitoba in 1908. William Trench opened a pharmacy in partnership with a Mr. Currie. Soon he had his own company, W.R. Trench Ltd., which was located on Bernard Avenue at the corner of Water Street. He operated this until 1935, when he sold it to G.A. Elliott and J.D. Whitham, who retained the Trench name.

William Trench served his community for more than 20 years. He sat on the school board from 1912 to 1919, and was president of the Board of Trade in 1926 and 1927. He was an alderman in 1932 and 1933, and mayor in 1934 and 1935.

The historic place has value as well for its architecture. The Trenches built it in 1911. The original form, a small, squarish, hipped-roof cottage with a front porch, can still be discerned. It is now engulfed in subsequent additions, which seem to enhance, rather than detract from, the heritage character.

Around 1925 to 1928, the Trenches built a new home on Pendozi (now Pandosy) Street. In 1936 they moved to Vancouver. The house went through several owners in the next two decades, including Harold S. and Grace L. Dalley, he a checker for the Canadian National Railway, who owned it in 1948. In 1956 it was bought by Adolph T. (1908-1969) and Florence C. Roth, who resided here until the 1960s.

Adolph Roth came to Kelowna from Camrose, Alberta, in 1929. He first worked in the cannery on Ellis Street, and in the early 1930s began driving the horse-drawn delivery wagon for Paddy Cameron's Guisachan Dairy. In 1939, he moved into town and became the distributor for the Kelowna Creamery, then in 1950 for NOCA Dairies, operating under the name Roth's Dairy Products, which had as many as eighteen employees and fifteen trucks.

CHARACTER-DEFINING ELEMENTS
The character-defining elements of the W.R. Trench House include its:
- location on Lawrence Avenue in Kelowna's North Central neighbourhood
- residential form, scale and massing, as expressed by its one-and-one-half-storey height and rectangular plan with extensions
- small bay window on the street elevation
- medium-pitched hipped roof with gabled additions
- small, gabled-roof dormer projection facing the side yard
- wood fascia, which extends across the gable facing the street
- two corbelled brick chimneys
- recessed open corner entrance porch
- wide wood bargeboards, which wrap around the house perimeter
- second-floor fenestration, with fixed windows, decorative painted mullions and plain narrow wood trim
- ground-floor fenestration, with fixed wood-sash windows and plain, narrow wood trim
- mature landscaping on the side yards
From Historic Places Canada
Photo goes Here
Official Heritage Registry: [Web Link]

Address:
784 Lawrence Avenue
Kelowna, BC
V1Y 6L9


Heritage Registry Page Number: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Waymark in this category at least one photo of the property, taken by the visitor, must be included with the visit, as well any comments they have concerning either their visit or the site itself. Suggested inclusions are: what you like about the site, its history, any deviations from the description in the heritage listing noted by the visitor, and the overall state of repair of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Western Canadian Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.