L’église Saint Martin - Ferrières-en-Bray, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 49° 28.924 E 001° 44.697
31U E 409092 N 5481804
Quick Description: [EN] The original 11th century building, already extensively altered in the 13th, 15th and 16th centuries, was almost completely rebuilt in 1864. [FR] L’édifice primitif du 11ème siècle, déjà profondément remanié aux 13ème, 15ème et 16ème siècles, est presque entièrement reconstruit en 1864.
Location: Normandie, France
Date Posted: 8/22/2020 11:08:28 AM
Waymark Code: WM130R2
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 2

Long Description:

"The primitive 11th century church is the responsibility of the Lord of Gournay. As for the parish, it is part of the diocese of Beauvais until the Concordat signed by Bonaparte and Pope Pius VII in 1802, where it passes to the Diocese of Rouen .

The building, already extensively altered in the 13th, 15th and 16th centuries, was almost completely rebuilt in 1864. The axial and central bell tower, which threatened to collapse, is removed; it is replaced by a square tower surmounted by a hexagonal spire, at the entrance to the nave.

Its base is fitted out as a porch; a modest transept is added to the nave. Three funeral plaques can still be seen there: in the south wing, that of Pierre de Gueudré; in the north wing, those of barons Jacques and Adalbert de la Chaise, former lords and owners of the Château du Manais.

On the south side, the altar of the Chapel of the Virgin is adorned with four small columns removed from the altars formerly located at the entrance to the choir. North side, the chapel is dedicated to Saint Martin, patron saint of the parish. The choir, from the 15th or 16th century, is the oldest part of the church; it is lit by three recently created Gothic windows. The other windows in the nave and in the transept are narrow and Romanesque.

All the stained-glass windows, in slabs of shattered glass, were executed by Bernard Legrand in 1957. They evoke the most significant passages from the Bible up to the Resurrection of Christ, in the center of the window of the south transept. Between 1966 and 1968, the sanctuary and the nave were again restored and redeveloped in the spirit of the liturgical reform and Vatican II, and in harmony with the stained glass windows, under the leadership of Father Michel Cousineau and with the help of the parishioners. . The freshly painted paneling of the walls and the slatted wooden cradle date from the 19th century. On the other hand, the benches in the nave were acquired during the time when Father Cousineau was parish priest of Ferrières. "

Sources : The Church

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

"L’église primitive du 11ème siècle est du ressort du Seigneur de Gournay. Quant à la paroisse, elle fait partie du diocèse de Beauvais jusqu’au Concordat signé par Bonaparte et le Pape Pie VII en 1802, où elle passe au Diocèse de Rouen.

L’édifice, déjà profondément remanié aux 13ème, 15ème et 16ème siècles, est presque entièrement reconstruit en 1864. Le clocher axial et central, qui menaçait de s’écrouler, est supprimé ; il est remplacé par une tour carré surmontée d’une flèche hexagonale, à l’entrée de la nef.

Sa base est aménagée en porche ; un modeste transept est ajouté à la nef. On peut encore y voir trois plaques mortuaires : dans l’aile sud, celle de Pierre de Gueudré ; dans l’aile nord, celles des barons Jacques et Adalbert de la Chaise, anciens seigneurs et propriétaires du château du Manais.

Côté sud, l’autel de la chapelle de la Vierge est orné de quatre colonnettes enlevées aux autels situés autrefois à l’entrée du chœur. Côté nord, la chapelle est dédiée à Saint Martin, patron de la paroisse. Le chœur , du 15ème ou 16ème siècle, est la partie la plus ancienne de l’église ; il est éclairé par trois fenêtres gothiques de création récente. Les autres fenêtres de la nef et du transept sont étroites et romanes.

Tous les vitraux, en dalles de verre éclaté, ont été exécutés par Bernard Legrand en 1957. Ils évoquent les passages les plus marquants de la Bible jusqu’à la Résurrection du Christ, au centre de la fenêtre du transept sud. Entre 1966 et 1968, le sanctuaire et la nef sont de nouveau restaurés et réaménagés dans l’esprit de la réforme liturgique et de Vatican II, et en harmonie avec les vitraux, sous l’impulsion du Père Michel Cousineau et avec le concours des paroissiens. Les lambris des murs teintés de fraîche date et le berceau en lamelles de bois datent du 19ème siècle. En revanche, les bancs de la nef ont été acquis à l’époque où le Père Cousineau était curé de Ferrières."

Sources : L’Eglise

Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited L’église Saint Martin - Ferrières-en-Bray, France 8/7/2020 pmaupin visited it