St. Saviour’s Anglican Church - Penticton, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
N 49° 29.669 W 119° 35.596
11U E 312216 N 5485659
Quick Description: The cornerstone for St. Saviour’s was laid in 1929, with completion occurring in 1930. This is one of two stone churches in Penticton, the other being ST. Andrew's Presbyterian.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 8/15/2020 12:12:29 PM
Waymark Code: WM12ZMX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 0

Long Description:
No longer alone on its large lot, as it was when built, St. Saviour’s is accompanied by a large parish hall at its rear and the 1892 Ellis Memorial Chapel. The hall was built in the early 1960s, expanded in 1969 and again in 2003 to house a soup kitchen and outreach centre. Ellis Memorial Chapel was moved from the Fairview Cemetery (originally known as the St. Saviour's Anglican Cemetery) to the site in 1934 and attached to the southwest corner of the church to serve as a chapel.

With large stained glass windows in the gable ends of the nave and a steeply pitched roof, St. Saviour's is unmistakably Gothic Revival in style, in spite of its having been built at a time when the style was falling out of favour with architects. An interesting aspect of the church's architecture is its truncated corner tower, with a crenelated parapet. The tower also serves as entrance to the nave, through a pair of Gothic arched wooden doors hung on medieval looking hinges. Being faced entirely with local fieldstone adds further to St. Saviour's Gothic character.

In 1963 the church suffered a major fire but was quickly restored.

St. Saviour’s is the oldest continuing protestant congregation in the South Okanagan. The first Protestant church services were held in the drawing room of Rancher Tom Ellis' home, who with his family were the first non-native settlers in the area. Mr. Ellis was originally from England, and he led the Planning for the new Town of Penticton. The original Anglican Church built in 1892, was named St., Saviour's in gratitude to God for sparing the Ellis family from a tragic accident.

In 1934, the Chancel of St. Saviour's was relocated from the original site on the Ellis homestead (Fairview Road Cemetery) to become part of the new Anglican Church at the corner of Winnipeg Street and Orchard Avenue. The Ellis Memorial chapel still stands at St. Saviour's, and is Penticton's oldest Historical Building.
From St. Saviour's
St. Saviour's Anglican Church
DESCRIPTION OF HISTORIC PLACE
St. Saviour's Church comprises a stone faced gothic revival church, built in 1930, a stone faced hall, built in 1937, and a wooden chapel, built in 1891, moved to the site in 1934, and faced with stone; and a 2003 addition that supports a soup kitchen and outreach centre for the less fortunate.

HERITAGE VALUE
St. Saviour's Church is important for its association with the Anglican tradition in Penticton from the earliest years of European settlement to the present day. It comprises a complex of buildings, the earliest which dates from the 1890s, with major construction taking place in the 1930s, the 1960s and 2003.

The oldest building on the site is the Ellis Chapel, constructed in 1891 as the first church in Penticton, and is notable for its association with both the pioneer Tom Ellis, known as "the cattle king of the Okanagan" and Penticton's first Reeve, Alfred Wade, to whom the chapel is dedicated. The chapel was originally built on Ellis land in gratitude for the family's "miraculous escape" from a wagon accident.

The continued growth of the town and its associated need for a larger Anglican Church in Penticton is reflected in the church's continued expansion and number of additions: the original chapel from the Ellis site was moved to the current location and faced with stone in the early 1930s, part of the first major expansion of the church, followed again in the 1960s and again in 2003.

The church buildings are also associated with other prominent citizens of the City, including Hugh Leir, who donated lumber for the church, and who was a large financial contributor to the 1930 buildings; Reverend John Cleland, an early minister; and Reverend Beams, who was minister during the 1930 construction period, and who was trained as an architect. The cultural legacy of the church is shown by the number of memorial fixtures and plaques associated with leading families in Penticton, such as the stain glass windows in the Ellis Chapel which are dedicated to members of the Ellis family.

Architecturally, the 1930 church is valued for its aesthetic appeal, its architecture, for its use of local materials, and for its association with local tradesmen. It was designed by Vancouver architects Twizzle and Burr in the perpendicular gothic style reflected in its tall gothic windows and the large stained glass window at the east end. Its association with local materials includes the use of Skaha Lake stone to face the church, Ellis Chapel, and the church hall, which form an important aesthetic component to the site. The stonework was completed by Nick Biagioni, Penticton’s most skilled stonemason.

Socially, the buildings are a testament to the determination of early church members who raised funds to complete and pay for the church during difficult economic times, and who moved the Ellis Chapel to the site. It is also reflective of the continuity of the spiritual tradition that the church was quickly restored after a devastating fire in 1963, and the hall was extended in 1969, and again in 2003 to house a soup kitchen and outreach centre for the less fortunate.

CHARACTER-DEFINING ELEMENTS
- The prominent location of the buildings at the corner of Orchard Avenue and Winnipeg Street
- The gothic revival architecture, including tall gothic arched windows, stained glass windows, gothic arched doorways, and the castellated entrance
- The pioneer Ellis chapel
- The use of local stone to face the buildings
- The extensive memorial items reflecting the history of the City and association with Penticton pioneering families.
- The large complex of buildings from different eras.
From the Penticton Heritage Register, Page 38
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Official Heritage Registry: [Web Link]

Address:
150 Orchard Avenue
Penticton, BC
V2A 1X8


Heritage Registry Page Number: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Waymark in this category at least one photo of the property, taken by the visitor, must be included with the visit, as well any comments they have concerning either their visit or the site itself. Suggested inclusions are: what you like about the site, its history, any deviations from the description in the heritage listing noted by the visitor, and the overall state of repair of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Western Canadian Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.