Wyles Windmill - Brimfield MA
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member nomadwillie
N 42° 07.317 W 072° 07.317
18T E 737907 N 4667325
Quick Description: The windmill, which was operated solely by wind, was erected to bring water from the Town Brook to tanks in the attic of the Wyles-Converse house at 16 Sturbridge Road.
Location: Massachusetts, United States
Date Posted: 8/9/2020 12:13:08 PM
Waymark Code: WM12YW3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member montythemule
Views: 1

Long Description:
The windmill, which was operated solely by wind, was erected to bring water from the Town Brook to tanks in the attic of the Wyles-Converse house at 16 Sturbridge Road. Charles Robinson, who owned it in 1920, attempted to repair it, but it was damaged by the hurricane of 1938. Catherine Basset, the owner in 1952, was successful in obtaining a preservation agreement from Catholic Diocese of Springfield, the next owner of the house, for which it serves a rectory. After being undermined by the great flood of 1955, the Massachusetts Highway Department had it slated for demolition in connection with extensive bridge repair, but Rev. William H. Jireen, first Rector of St. Christopher's, "canceled the plans for destruction". In 1968 the parish extensively restored the structure and its works with donations by the parish and others.

Source: (visit link)
Date of Manufacture: 1/1/1875

Purpose: Water Pumping

Open to the public: no

Is This Windmill Functional?: Yes!

Windmill Farm: no

Museum on Site: no

Cost: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
When logging a VISIT to a windmill that has been Waymarked, please take a a photograph of the Windmill and provide a summary of your visit. In this way we can track changes to the mills over the years
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Windmills
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.