Greenhill Hotel - Blairmore, AB
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
N 49° 36.528 W 114° 26.734
11U E 684540 N 5498270
Quick Description: Another building by West Canadian Collieries, the hotel was opened in 1922, but was leased and never operated by the company. Like the town of Blairmore, this hotel is a survivor, still open for business today.
Location: Alberta, Canada
Date Posted: 7/28/2020 2:16:59 PM
Waymark Code: WM12WWY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 0

Long Description:
The Greenhill Hotel, named after West Canadian Collieries' nearby Greenhill Mine, was another major construction project in the company-owned West Townsite. The builder was W. Pettifor of Calgary, who used the fireproof hollow red clay blocks found in many WCC buildings of the era. After its completion in late 1921, instead of being operated by West Canadian Collieries itself, the Greenhill was leased to a private entity, officially opening in February 1922.

While the hotel provided rooms for miners, its best rooms were reserved for wealthier clients, visiting WCC share-holders and other notables. As the newest and best appointed establishment in town, the Greenhill Hotel was the place to stay. Guests of the hotel have included Queen Maria of Romania and boxer "Sugar" Ray Robinson. The bar on the main floor served miners and managers alike, ofttimes downing their beers standing elbow-to-elbow at the bar.
Greenhill Hotel
The Greenhill Hotel was constructed in 1920 by West Canadian Collieries Ltd. for use as a miners' boarding house and to provide first-class accommodation for visiting Company officials from Europe. West Canadian Collieries Ltd. was incorporated in 1904 by a group of French capitalists that included J.J. Fleutot. He had been active in the development of coal reserves on the Alberta side of the Crowsnest Pass since the turn of the century. Between 1904 and 1914 the Company acquired and developed coal properties in the Bellevue and Blairmore areas. The Greenhill mine in Blairmore became one of its largest and most successful operations and the economic mainstay of the town. The company also made a major contribution to the development of Blairmore as one of two dominant urban centres in the Crowsnest Pass region.

From 1910 to 1912 Blairmore experienced a significant building boom in which the West Canadian Collieries Ltd. was a major participant. The West Blairmore subdivision was created and sold by the Company. During these years the Company also brought in a number of management personnel and miners to operate the mine complex that it was building. This investment in the communities of Blairmore and Bellevue continued after the war under the direction of Jules Charbonnier. The hotel and Company headquarters were constructed during this post-war building boom in Blairmore. The Company retained ownership of the hotel until it was sold to a Blairmore resident, Joseph Kubic, in 1950. The Greenhill Hotel thus plated a significant role in the operation of a company and a community involved in the Crowsnest Pass coal industry.
From the Alberta Register of Historic Places
Photo goes Here
Official Heritage Registry: [Web Link]

2522 - 20 Avenue
Blairmore, AB
T0K 0E0

Heritage Registry Page Number: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Waymark in this category at least one photo of the property, taken by the visitor, must be included with the visit, as well any comments they have concerning either their visit or the site itself. Suggested inclusions are: what you like about the site, its history, any deviations from the description in the heritage listing noted by the visitor, and the overall state of repair of the site.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Western Canadian Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
T0SHEA visited Greenhill Hotel - Blairmore, AB 10/23/2020 T0SHEA visited it