Roy Allen Sillar - Compton Chamberlayne War Graves - Compton Chamberlayne, Wiltshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 51° 03.943 W 001° 57.618
30U E 572851 N 5657647
Quick Description: A broken column headstone of Capt. Roy Allen Sillar, in the Compton Chamberlayne Cemetery.
Location: South West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 7/17/2020 1:46:18 AM
Waymark Code: WM12V34
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 1

Long Description:
A broken column headstone of Capt. Roy Allen Sillar, in the Compton Chamberlayne Cemetery.

"Sillar, Roy Allen (1894–1918)

Captain Roy Sillar's School Career.

On March 3rd, 1918, Surgeon-Captain Roy Allen Sillar, second eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Sillar, of the Bank of Australasia, Dubbo, sailed from Sydney as medical officer in charge of a unit for the front. It was the final step in a career which, from the day he entered the Dubbo District Public School as a chubby little boy, may be summed up in the one word, "Thorough." It was the keynote of his character, even as a boy, and when details come from Home we may feel sure that it characterised him till the light went out and he slept. He was a bright scholar, with a receptive and analytic mind. He absorbed facts as a sponge absorbs water, and with a little pressure he would exude information. At the age of 14 he established a school record which attracted attention not only in Dubbo, but far beyond its confines. In his first year of technical instruction in chemistry, under the tutelage of Mr, E. Campling, now. Inspector of Schools at Wellington, he won the scholarship for the State, an exceptionally fine record for a boy of that tender age. He was Dux of the school for two successive years, and his name occupies a conspicuous place on the Honor Board at the Dubbo Mechanics Institute. Thoroughness characterised his school career in his native town, and with that watchword on his lips he entered the Senior examination for, matriculation before entering the Sydney University. In that stiff examination be received honors in his two Maths., and in his Classics (English, Latin and French). For five years he toiled, like a galley slave at his studies as a resident student at St. Andrew's College, and in 1917 he passed his "finals," and secured his medical degrees with brilliant passes. During his University career he secured the Horn Scholarships Nos. 1 and 2 at St. Andrew's College and was also elected Senior Student Of the College in 1917. When war broke out he wanted to interrupt his studies and leave for the front, at once with his two brothers, Jack and Ralph, but medical students are exempted, and perforce of this regulation he remained behind. As soon as he was free he lost no time with in linking up with the Amy Medical Corps, and sailing where duty called, and he felt he must go. And then the end as recounted above. He was a fine young man, honest, sterling, and true as steel. A true and worthy friend, a good and dutiful son, and as proud of his parents as they were of him. His is a dreadfully sad thing and the "Liberal" cannot find words to express to Mr. and Mrs. Sillar and the family its deep sense of the loss, they have suffered. The death of such a promising native of the town is a general loss and the grief felt is universal and sincere.

References at St. Andrew's.

Mr. McCallum, at all services on Sunday, made feeling reference to the death of Captain Roy Sillar. Speaking with deep emotion he said:

As a church and a community we have received a great loss through the tragic death of Dr. Roy Sillar. On that account we meet to-day under distressing circumstances. Owing to the lack of particulars, one cannot speak of the last scene in that useful and honorable life. Still,we have his splendid record to go by, which in every way enhances his value. Had he been privileged to reach his objective—the theatre of war—in a way the stroke would not have been so hard to bear; but to think he was suddenly cut off after travelling so far, and not permitted to yet to the storm centre, come with a pang of bitter disappointment to his many friends and particularly his parents. To have been killed in pursuance of his duties was some thing to be looked for, and needless to say his father and mother duly considered that side of the cast, but to fall as he has done is beyond our comprehension. That was entirely out of all reckoning. Notwithstanding his failure to reach France and minister to his stricken countrymen, in other sense he has attained his object, for he has given his life for humanity. He was fully identified with the righteous cause; in fact, all other things were subordinated to that end. Emoluments, love of ease, advancement in his noble profession, were not allowed to sway him, but head erect, breast forward, he went with a soul fired with a passion for men and the moral ideal, eager in every way to help his beloved land in her hour of need. His death has led him into union with the Great Sacrifice, and in measure helped to redeem mankind from the hand of the oppressor. We look through death to a great conclusion this life does not end all greater service in a higher sphere that awaits the brave and the good in the Land of Compensation. Having known him personally (many times he befriended me), one realises full well such is the position of the young doctor. His motive were pure, his service disinterested secures for him and all such a glorious reward. Humanly speaking, the whole affair, in its mysterious suddenness, is beyond our grasp, yet who knows best, and has called him into the Nearer Presence. With cheerful steps the path of duty run.

God never does nor suffers to be done, But what you would yourself, could you but see. The end of all events as well as He.

The brevity of life does not detract from its worth; it is the quality alone that tells. That counts here and here after. As a church we are proud and privileged to have had such a fine speci- men of manhood worship with us; any church might well envy us. As for the deceased doctor, his actions spoke eloquently for his parents. One only needs to enter such company to find that all that constitutes true life is to be found in such a home. The Sillar family, however sad, must have an inward satisfaction for that deep joy which comes from that actions, and is in accord with higher things is bound to be theirs to-day and for the remainder of their life. On behalf of the church and community I here convey to Mr. and Mrs. Sillar and family our sincere heartfelt sympathy, praying that. God may comfort and bless them all."

SOURCE - (visit link)

Service record - (visit link)

"Roy Allen Sillar was a 23-year-old medical practitioner from Dubbo, New South Wales when he enlisted in the AIF on 29th January 1918. Prior to this Captain Sillar served with 26th Infantry Militia for four years.

Captain Sillar embarked with the AAMC (Australian Army Medical Corps) on 2nd March 1918 aboard the HMAT Commonwealth from Sydney. Sillar’s service record states that he disembarked at London and was taken on strength to AAMC Training Depot on 14th May 1918. On the 22nd May he was appointed as Medical Officer No.3 Training Depot.

Captain Sillar was involved in a riding accident on 30 June 1918.

News of Captain Sillar’s accident reached his family on 4th July 1918. The Sillar family were prominent members of their country community of Dubbo, New South Wales. The following articles appeared in the local newspaper of the time, The Dubbo Liberal & Macquarie Advocate, on Friday 5th July 1918:

Dr. Roy Allen Sillar
Meets with Serious Accident

Mr J.W. Sillar, manager of the Bank of Australasia (Dubbo) has received a cable message from England intimating that his second son, Dr Roy Sillar, has been seriously injured whilst serving in the Australian Imperial Forces. Dr Sillar was for some five years a resident student at St Andrew’s College, within the University, and last year passed his final examination for the degrees of Bachelor of Medicine and Master of Surgery. Dr Sillar afterwards passed through his hospital courses at St Vincent’s Hospital and the Royal North Sydney Hospital and on March 3rd last year sailed from Sydney as a medical officer in charge of a unit for the front. Sydney Morning Herald

Dr Sillar is a Dubbo native, and to most of its townspeople is as well known as the town clock; and they have watched his career with a personal interest. As a scholar at the Dubbo Public School he first attracted the attention by being the Dux of the school two years in succession. His name appears on the Honor Board at the Mechanics’ Institute. At the age of 14 he took the scholarship for the state after his first year of technical instruction in chemistry, under the tuition of Mr E. Campling, now Inspector of Schools Wellington. This was an exceptionally fine record for a boy. The promise that he gave at the Public School was later fully realised in all the other examinations leading up to or his matriculation in his Senior Exam. Before entering the University he received honors in his two Maths and in his classics (English, Latin and French). His University course is referred to in the paragraph from the “Herald”

Then came the call to serve the Empire, and he was prompt to respond. He had wanted badly to accompany his brothers, but all medical students were exempted, and he pushed through his medical course. That done he left hot-footed for the front. And then the accident. Regarding this Mr. J.W. Sillar informs us that he has not received any further information, and as the proverb has it, “No news is good news.” Let us hope.

Roy Sillar, aged 23, died on 30 June 1918, killed as a result of a fall from a horse which caused ‘concussion of the brain’.

A court of inquiry was held to investigate the accident.
The evidence of three witnesses is recorded in Captain Sillar’s service record.
“1st Witness. Lieut. V.C. Sanders states: Captain Sillar and I were proceeding in the direction of Barford at about 3 pm yesterday, 30th June, on horse back.
We met Capt Shaw AAMC and both dismounted to speak to him. After the conversation, we started to mount again. As I was about to mount I heard a clatter of hoofs and looked round and saw Capt Sillar half mounted and trying to get his right leg over the saddle. The horse was moving forward suddenly and moved about 6 yards with Captain Sillar still in the same position trying to get his leg over. He then succeeded but appeared to miss the stirrup on the off side, lost his balance and fell over the off side. He struck the ground with the left side of his face and head. I rushed up and was just picking him up when Captain Shaw came up and assisted me to lift him up and we took him to a house where I left him with Captain Shaw while I went for an ambulance.

2nd Witness. Capt. R. M. Shaw AAMC states: While walking from Barford on the 30th June at about 3pm I met Capt Sillar and Lieut. Sanders on horseback coming towards me. They dismounted commenced to mount again and talked to me for a short time and then Capt. Sillar being a little further down the road with Lt. Sanders horse between me and him. While saying goodbye to Lieut. Sanders I heard the noise of the other horse (Cpt Sillar’s) moving quickly and next saw Capt Sillar rolling on the road. I rushed over and assisted Lieut. Sanders to move him into a house near by and I remained and attended him till Lieut. Sanders returned with an Ambulance which was about ¾ hour after the occurrence. I went with Capt Sillar to Fovant Military Hospital and handed him over to Capt Huntley. He began to lose consciousness on being moved into the ambulance. Capt Sillar was perfectly sober at the time I met him.

3rd Witness Capt E. Huntley RAMC states: Capt Sillar was brought to Fovant Hospital in an ambulance and was admitted about 4.30pm 30th June 1918. He was perfectly unconscious. On the left side of his head there was very considerable bruising and some superficial abrasions. On the right side just above the right ear there was a laceration of the scalp surrounded by bruising. None of these wounds led down to bare bone. On the right hip also there was a very considerable bruise and there were abrasions of the fingers on the right hand. He had no paralytic symptoms. Captain Sillar never regained consciousness and died about 7pm on the same day. Cause of death was severe concussion of the brain. There were no signs of intoxication about Capt Sillar.

The Dubbo Liberal & Macquarie Advocate reported Captain Sillar’s death on 9th July 1918:

Mr John Walker Sillar, manager of the Bank of Australasia, received the following cable, dated July 5th, on Saturday from his son, Signaller Jack Sillar:- “Roy’s injuries fatal. Attended funeral yesterday.” … The shock to his devoted parents of this terrible sudden close to what promised to be a brilliant career is beyond the feeble power of any pen or tongue to describe. Only those who have lost a loved member of a happy family circle can understand their deep grief."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Headstone/Monument Text:
WHO DIED JUNE 30 - 1918

Website with More Information: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
When visiting a waymark, please take an original picture of the headstone/monument (nothing should be placed on it). Logs that include photos representing any form of disrespectful behavior will be subject to deletion.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Broken Column Headstones
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.