Basilique de la Trinité - Cherbourg, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 49° 38.525 W 001° 37.424
30U E 599361 N 5499746
Quick Description: A beautiful Basilica in the center of Cherbourg. Une belle Basilique dans le centre de Cherbourg.
Location: Normandie, France
Date Posted: 7/10/2020 4:12:05 AM
Waymark Code: WM12T1J
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 7

Long Description:
En Wikipedia source:
Around 841, the church of Cherbourg, erected around 435 at the request of the bishop of Coutances Saint Éreptiole, was destroyed during the Norman invasions. In the 11th century, William the Conqueror ordered the construction of a new church, probably built on the ruins of the first, of which the bishops of Coutances received patronage. A pontifical bull of Eugene III already mentions his consecration to the Holy Trinity in 1145. It is the only parish church in Cherbourg until the July Monarchy, the castle having its own church, dedicated to Notre-Dame until its leveling in the 17th century.

Although enclosed within the ramparts during the fortification of the city in 1300, the church nevertheless suffered a great deal of destruction, especially during the Hundred Years War.

In the 15th century, at the request of the Diocese of Coutances, a church was again erected on the ruins of the old parish church in a Gothic style. Projected in 1412, construction was suspended because of the siege of 1418 and the food shortage that followed to resume in 1423 under English domination with the bell tower and the choir, including the paving, from Caen. Completed between 1450 and 1466, it was consecrated on May 24 of that year by Jean Tustot, parish priest of Cherbourg and official of Valognes.

After the city was delivered in August 1450, the people of Cherbourg decided to erect a monument dedicated to the Assumption of Mary. Designed by a rich bourgeois named Jean Aubert, and fixed in 1466 under the vault of the nave, a system of springs and mechanics moved every August 15 for nearly three centuries, characters representing the assumption and the crowning of the Virgin. An important brotherhood known as "Notre-Dame-Montée", is created for its surveillance, within which there are over the centuries the governors of the city, the regular abbots of the Vow, but also the nobility of Cotentin and France. , up to 1,200 members. Never completed, it has been completed over the centuries "without character or style", like the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament, built in the 18th century as an outgrowth without a motive6. According to Fleury, this brotherhood, of which he found traces in 1200, was only awakened by the making of this monument. According to the latter, the annual feast of the Assumption was abolished in 1702.

In 1473, Pierre Turpin de Crissé, bishop of Évreux, died in Cherbourg during a visit, was buried in the choir. His epitaph was still there more than two centuries later. The construction of a tower and a portal began in 1531, but the faithful had to give the money provided to Francis I for the redemption of his sons, delivered by the Treaty of Madrid, justifying the royal visit the following year.

The church was sacked in January 1794 by the Revolutionaries, who destroyed the monument of the Assumption.

In the 19th century, the building was deeply restored and consolidated, under the aegis of the city's architect, Geufroy. In 1828, a square tower twenty-six meters high was added to the church, on the west portal, probably the first French neo-Gothic work. The whole is consolidated, and the arcade of the old west portal is rebuilt.

In December 1921, the church was elevated to the rank of minor basilica by Pope Benedict XV.

Among the oldest vestiges of the city, it has rich religious furniture, including a high altar from 1809, a carved wooden pulpit by Pierre Fréret (1767) and an altarpiece by Armand Fréret (1814), as well as the large organs of Cavaillé-Coll. It also houses sculpted panels depicting scenes from the life of Christ and a dance of death, and a painting attributed to Philippe de Champaigne, Les Saintes Femmes au tombeau du Christ. The name of God YHWH, a Hebrew tetragrammaton, was clearly inscribed in the choir of the basilica, above “the glory,” a sculpture of Jesus receiving baptism.

Fr source Wikipedia :
Vers 841, l'église de Cherbourg, érigée vers 435 sur sollicitation de l'évêque de Coutances saint Éreptiole, est détruite lors des invasions normandes. Au XIe siècle, Guillaume le Conquérant ordonne la construction d'une nouvelle église, vraisemblablement bâtie sur les ruines de la première, dont les évêques de Coutances reçoivent le patronage. Une bulle pontifical d'Eugène III mentionne déjà sa consécration à la Sainte Trinité en 1145. Elle est la seule église paroissiale de Cherbourg jusqu'à la Monarchie de Juillet, le château disposant de sa propre église, dédiée à Notre-Dame jusqu'à son arasement au XVIIe siècle.

Bien qu'enceinte dans les remparts lors de la fortification de la cité en 1300, l'église subit néanmoins de nombreuses destructions, notamment pendant la guerre de Cent Ans.

Au XVe siècle, à la demande du diocèse de Coutances, une église est de nouveau érigée sur les ruines de l'ancienne église paroissiale dans un style gothique. Projetée en 1412, la construction est suspendue à cause du siège de 1418 et la disette qui suit pour reprendre en 1423 sous domination anglaise avec le clocher et le chœur, dont le pavage, provenant de Caen. Achevée entre 1450 et 1466, elle est consacrée le 24 mai de cette année-là, par Jean Tustot, curé de Cherbourg et official de Valognes.

Après la délivrance de la ville en août 1450, les Cherbourgeois décident d'ériger un monument dédié à l'Assomption de Marie. Ouvragé par un riche bourgeois nommé Jean Aubert, et fixé en 1466 sous la voûte de la nef, un système de ressorts et de mécanique faisait bouger tous les 15 août pendant près de trois siècles, des personnages représentant l'assomption et le couronnement de la Vierge. Une importante confrérie dite de « Notre-Dame-Montée », est créée pour sa surveillance, au sein de laquelle on compte au cours des siècles les gouverneurs de la ville, les abbés réguliers du Vœu, mais aussi la noblesse du Cotentin et de France, jusqu'à compter 1 200 membres. Jamais achevée, elle est complétée au gré des siècles « sans caractère ni style », à l'image de la chapelle du Saint-Sacrement, construite au XVIIIe siècle comme une excroissance sans motif6. Selon Fleury, cette confrérie, dont il retrouve trace en 1200, n'est alors que réveillée par la confection de ce monument. Selon ce dernier, la fête annuelle de l'Assomption est supprimée en 1702.

En 1473, on inhume dans le chœur Pierre Turpin de Crissé, évêque d'Évreux, mort à Cherbourg lors d'une visite. Son épitaphe y était encore plus de deux siècles après. La réalisation d'une tour et d'un portail débute en 1531, mais les fidèles doivent donner l'argent prévu à François Ier pour le rachat de ses fils, livrés par le traité de Madrid, justifiant la visite royale l'année suivante.

L'église est saccagée en janvier 1794 par les Révolutionnaires, qui détruisent le monument de l'Assomption.

Au XIXe siècle, l'édifice est profondément restauré et consolidé, sous l'égide de l'architecte de la ville, Geufroy. On adjoint à l'église en 1828 une tour carrée de vingt-six mètres de haut, sur le portail ouest, probable premier ouvrage néo-gothique français. L'ensemble est consolidé, et l'arcade de l'ancien portail ouest est rebâtie.

En décembre 1921, l'église est élevée au rang de basilique mineure par le pape Benoit XV.

Parmi les plus vieux vestiges de la ville, elle possède un riche mobilier cultuel, dont un maître-autel de 1809, une chaire en bois sculptée de Pierre Fréret (1767) et un retable d'Armand Fréret (1814), ainsi que les grandes orgues de Cavaillé-Coll. Elle abrite également des panneaux sculptés représentant des scènes de la vie du Christ et une danse macabre, et une toile attribuée à Philippe de Champaigne, Les Saintes Femmes au tombeau du Christ. Le nom de dieu YHWH, un tétragramme hébreu, a été clairement inscrit dans le chœur de la basilique, au-dessus de « la gloire », une sculpture représentant Jésus recevant le baptême.

Wikipedia
Référence de la notice (from Merimee DB): PA00110365

Dénomination de l'édifice (from Merimee DB): Basilique

Localisation (from Merimee DB): Normandie ; Manche (50) ; Cherbourg

Siècle de la campagne principale de construction (from Merimee DB): 15e siècle

Précision sur la protection de l'édifice (from Merimee DB):
Basilique Sainte-Trinité : inscription par arrêté du 14 mars 1944


Date de versement de la notice (Merimee DB): 3/14/1944

Relevant Website: [Web Link]

Photo with MH logo pictured included?: no

Adresse de l'édifice (from Merimee DB): Not listed

Visit Instructions:
[EN] Include at minimum a complete sentence which reflects your experience visiting the site and upload a photo taken by you at the site.

[FR] Ecrivez au moins une phrase complète qui décrira votre expérience lors de la visite et téléchargez une photo du site prise par vous.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Monuments Historiques Français
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sara et gege visited Basilique de la Trinité - Cherbourg, France 12/16/2020 sara et gege visited it