1971 - Congregational Church - Lancaster, Wisconsin
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 42° 50.815 W 090° 42.595
15T E 687127 N 4746359
Quick Description: This one story red brick church is located at 225 South Madison Street in Lancaster, Wisconsin.
Location: Wisconsin, United States
Date Posted: 6/30/2020 9:27:22 PM
Waymark Code: WM12Q79
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 1

Long Description:
My Commentary:
This is a neo-Classical building. Four columns support the pediment, which has a single round window within the tympanum. The central entry is a double wood and glass door with a pediment above. Flanking each door is a wood and glass window. On each side of the entry, there is a five-over four window. The date - 1971 - appears on a date stone on the left side of the building. Below is information on the old church on this site.

On August 19, 1871, the corner stone of a new church was laid with appropriate ceremonies. In the stone was placed a history of the Congregational Church in Wisconsin, the last issue of the county papers, cereals, and seeds, and a sketch of the history of the church. The building was completed and dedicated July 17, 1873. Rev CH Richards of Madison delivered the sermon and there were exercises by the pastors of the Congregational and Methodist Churches in Lancaster. A subscription of $2,000 was raised in the audience previous to the dedication. The edifice is situated on Cherry and Madison Streets is 50X85 feet with a spire 100 feet high ornamented with beltings of cut stone. The contractors and builders were Alcorn & Muesse and the plans were by CW Shinn of Springfield Ill. The cost was $12,650. The auditorium is 40X80 twenty feet of which is cut off as a social room by sliding panels by means of which the whole can be made one room. A large chandelier with numerous side lights was presented by Gen JB Callis, but the church is now lighted with electricity. The building is warmed by two furnaces. The old building was sold to EH Borah for $700.

- History of Grant County

Year of construction: 1971

Full inscription:
1871


Cross-listed waymark: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Buildings and Cornerstones
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.