Knox Presbyterian Church - Carstairs, AB
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
N 51° 33.803 W 114° 06.021
11U E 700973 N 5716463
Quick Description: This, the first church in Carstairs, was built in 1901, one year after the town was laid out. The design and the construction were all carried out by local craftsmen.
Location: Alberta, Canada
Date Posted: 6/27/2020 10:00:12 AM
Waymark Code: WM12PKF
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 1

Long Description:
This Presbyterian Church was in continuous use for 84 years, until its closing and deconsecration in 1985. It is now an Alberta Historic Resource and part of the Carstairs Heritage Centre in Carstairs. When first opened it was known as the Roulston Museum. As was the case in many small towns, when Church Union in Canada took place in 1925, among the Presbyterians, Methodists and Congregationalists, many in the Carstairs congregation chose not to participate and remained Presbyterian. A new (and larger) United Church was built across 11th Avenue and a block north and the remaining Presbyterians continued to meet as before in this church.

The first service in the new church was held on July 15, 1901. A simple wood frame building, it had been well cared for by the congregation. The writer grew up in this town and knew many of the parishioners of this church. You'll note that the plain, square tower centered in the front has no spire. I simply don't remember if the church ever had a spire, or if there was ever a bell in the tower.
Knox Presbyterian Church
HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

Carstairs was originally established as a siding on the Calgary and Edmonton (C&E) Railway during construction of the Calgary to Red Deer section of the railway during the fall of 1890. A small station and section house was constructed at this time. The surveying of a town site, however, did not take place until September 1900. The new town site immediately attracted a number of businessmen including E.W. Stone who established the town's first general store. Other pioneer businessmen included A.R. Shantz who established a lumberyard and Robert Scott who established a general store.

The social development of the town site also began at this time with the creation of Knox Presbyterian Church. The congregation was established by T.J.S. Ferguson, a student from Queen's University who responded to a call for volunteers by Dr. Robertson, Superintendent of Missions. The first services were held in the railway station prior to the construction of the church in July 1901. The first service was held on July 15, 1901. Significant individuals associated with the church included Henry Wise Wood, leader of the United Farmers of Alberta (UFA) in the 1920s.
From the Alberta Register of Historic Places
Photo goes Here
Official Heritage Registry: [Web Link]

Address:
1138 Nanton Street
Carstairs, AB
T0M 0N0


Heritage Registry Page Number: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Waymark in this category at least one photo of the property, taken by the visitor, must be included with the visit, as well any comments they have concerning either their visit or the site itself. Suggested inclusions are: what you like about the site, its history, any deviations from the description in the heritage listing noted by the visitor, and the overall state of repair of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Western Canadian Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
T0SHEA visited Knox Presbyterian Church - Carstairs, AB 9/27/2020 T0SHEA visited it