Pulpit - St George's Church - High Street - Belfast, Ireland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 54° 36.011 W 005° 55.502
30U E 311061 N 6054233
Quick Description: A beautifully decorated pulpit in St George's church, Belfast.
Location: Ulster, Ireland
Date Posted: 6/26/2020 3:49:28 AM
Waymark Code: WM12PDE
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 2

Long Description:
A beautifully decorated pulpit in St George's church, Belfast. It was designed by architect W. J. Barre (visit link) and added in 1867. It underwent a restoration in 2000.

"The Parish Church of Saint George, Belfast, more commonly known as St. George's Church, Belfast, is a Church of Ireland church located on High Street in Belfast, Northern Ireland. It is the oldest Church of Ireland church in Belfast. It was designed by Irish architect, John Bowden, and opened in 1816. Major refurbishment work was completed in June 2000.

The foundation stone was laid in June 1813 by the Earl of Massereene and the church opened in June 1816. It has a simple nave and chancel plan and is built of sandstone. Inside there is a gallery on three sides. The church originally had a plain ceiling, but in 1865 the ceiling was removed and the trusses exposed and decorated by architect W. J. Barre, who also added a new pulpit in 1867. A chancel, designed by Edward Bradell, was added in 1882."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Approximate age of artefact (Year): 1867

Times available for viewing: Daytime hours

Entrance fee (if applicable), local currency: 0

Relevant website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

Please supply an original picture when visiting this waymark, and write something about your visit.
 

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wooden Church Artefacts
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.