La Commanderie de Moisy-le-Temple - Montigny-l'Allier, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member RakeInTheCache
N 49° 06.907 E 003° 04.977
31U E 506053 N 5440256
Quick Description: [FR] La commanderie de Moisy constitue en ensemble architectural remarquable parmi toutes les commanderies picardes dont les vestiges nous sont parvenus. [EN] This remarkable commandery stands out among all of the vestiges of commanderies in Picardy.
Location: Hauts-de-France, France
Date Posted: 6/21/2020 1:26:47 PM
Waymark Code: WM12NDY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Kelux
Views: 3

Long Description:
[FR] Il en subsiste une exceptionnelle chapelle du 13e siècle, un logis Renaissance ayant conservé plusieurs cheminées de même époque, un ensemble de dépendances et la porterie située à 50 mètres.

La plus ancienne mention relative au Temple de Moisy remonte à 1184. Par la bulle Faciens misericordiam, Clément V nomma en 1308 des commissions pontificales chargées d'enquêter sur l'ordre, en marge de la procédure séculière engagée par le roi de France, Philippe IV le Bel. En 1310, Jean de Corneilles, précepteur de Moisy qui avait alors environ 41 ans, fit sa soumission et déposa le manteau de l'Ordre au concile de Sens, et se fit raser la barbe. À la suppression de l’Ordre du Temple, cet établissement entre dans les biens des Hospitaliers. En 1357, la commanderie de la Sablonnière est rattachée à celle de Moisy. Cette politique de regroupement entraîne la suppression en 1398 de cette dernière et son rattachement au Temple de Paris. La commanderie de Moisy fut néanmoins rétablie en 1633.

[EN] What remains of the commandery are an exceptional chapel from the 13th century, a Renaissance manor with several chimneys preserved from that period, a collection of outbuildings and the gatehouse situated 50 meters away.

The oldest record of the Moisy commandery is from 1184. In 1308, Clement V issued the Papal bulle Faciens misericordiam which set up pontifical commissions to investigate the order at the same time that the king of France, Philippe IV le Bel carried out secular proceedings against the order. In 1310, Jean de Corneilles, preceptor of Moisy at the age of 41, submitted to the authorities, handed over the cloak of the order at the council of Sens and shaved off his beard. At the dissolution of the Templar order, this establishment became the property of the Hospitalars. In 1357, the Sablonnière commandery was incorporated into the Moisy commandery. The continued policy of consolidation subsequently led to the later being taken over by the Paris temple. The Moisy commandery was nevertheless reestablished in 1633.
Name of Military Order: Knights Templar

Link documenting charitable acts: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Posters must have physically visited the location. Uploading an original photo is strongly encouraged.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Legacy of Medieval Spiritual Warriors
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.