Winters--Wimberley House - Wimberley, TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member WalksfarTX
N 29° 59.882 W 098° 05.930
14R E 586919 N 3318908
Quick Description: The ca. 1856 Winters-Wimberley House occupies a five-acre site on a high bluff overlooking Cypress Creek, at the northern periphery of Wimberley, a small but growing Hill Country town in southwestern Hays County.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 6/1/2020 6:42:32 AM
Waymark Code: WM12HR8
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 1

Long Description:
NRHP Nomination Form

"The house is a vernacular l-story, side-gabled limestone dwelling with matching limestone chimneys centered on the gable ends. An attached 3-bay porch supported by turned posts stretches across most of the front facade and matching pilasters are affixed to the wall. Multiple frame additions extend to the rear. Although its symmetrical 3-bay appearance suggests a center-passage plan, physical evidence indicates that the original house was built as a simple, 2-room hall-parlor dwelling. The walls are built of 18" thick ashlar blocks while the frame additions are covered with various wood siding, primarily board and batten. A crimped metal roof recently replaced an earlier metal roof that in turn replaced the original cedar shakes.

In 1856, William C. Winters purchased a 34-acre mill site along Cypress Creek near the frontier trading post of Glendale, the site of present Wimberley. Once he established his business. Winters chose a home site on a limestone promontory that rose high above the creek within view of the mill below. It was a simple, though substantial, rectangular limestone dwelling with a near-symmetrical, 3-bay primary facade. Winters probably built several small auxiliary structures near the house soon after its construction. As business increased, a wagon path soon developed between the trading post and the mill. Passing between the house and the creek below, the path eventually became part of the county road system. Wimberley's town square lies just to the southwest of the mill and house, connected by the old road, now Ranch Road 12.

As the mill changed hands, so too did the name of the settlement. When Winters' son-in-law, John Cude, assumed ownership about 1864, the community became known as Cude's Mill. The settlement again changed names after Pleasant Wimberley purchased the property in 1874. Finally, it was shortened to Wimberley."

Street address:
14070 Ranch Road 12
Wimberley, TX United States


County / Borough / Parish: Hays County

Year listed: 2002

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Periods of significance: 1925-1949, 1900-1924, 1875-1899, 1850-1874

Historic function: Domestic

Current function: Recreation And Culture

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.