1573 - Mydlárovský dum / Mydlár House - Chrudim (East Bohemia)
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
N 49° 57.033 E 015° 47.715
33U E 557051 N 5533435
Quick Description: The beginning of the striking Renaissance rebuiding of a Mydlár house (Mydlárovský dum) in Chrudim, 1573, is marked on a stone lintel above its entrance portal.
Location: Pardubický kraj, Czechia
Date Posted: 5/19/2020 2:32:52 PM
Waymark Code: WM12FZZ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 6

Long Description:

The beginning of the striking Renaissance rebuiding of a Mydlár house (Mydlárovský dum) in Chrudim, 1573, is marked on a stone lintel above its entrance portal. The Mydlár house in Chrudim is an exceptionally valuable house with a representative arcaded façade and an original layout with a unique astronomical tower with a minaret. The house is dominantly applied in the image of the Chrudim and co-creates the city skyline. The building was renovated for the Chrudim Puppetry Museum (Muzeum loutkárských kultur v Chrudimi), which opened here on July 2, 1972.

Mydlár house, originally a Gothic structure from the 15th century in Bretislavova street N ° 74, was bought by a rich Chrudim burgher, soap maker and candle maker Matej Mydlár on January 11, 1571. The new owner rebuilt the house in the Renaissance style during the years 1573-1577. Shortly after the completion of the reconstruction, he sold the house to his younger brother, Daniel. Daniel is credited with the characteristic minaret-style twin towers. The first tower has five stories with a spiral staircase. The lower part probably served as a living area. The second, higher tower, built to the east, is topped with eight small windows. We can only speculate as to the purpose of their construction. However, since from the beginning they were referred to as an "observatory" it is probable that they served for astronomical observations. The reconstruction of the Mydlár House had a positive effect on the neighbourhood. Mydlár's neighbors were inspired and started to decorate their houses with diverse architectural elements. Townspeople in other neighborhoods subsequently began building new houses, and thus Chrudim acquired an attractive new appearance in just a few years. The Mydlár house belonged to several different people outside the Mydlár family. The last known owner of the house was Marie Kozlanská, who bequeathed the house to the town in 1952.

The Mydlár house is a terraced town house on a small deep plot situated on a hill by the Chrudim town walls south of the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. From the Bretislavova street it is a four-storey house with an loggia, to the walls this part stands on a high base and on the right side it has a five-storey tower topped by a miniature minaret. The street facade with five-axis three-storey loggia, newly supported by a steel structure with subtle columns, is characterised by rich figural decorations on the first floor railing. From the left are standing figures representing piety, justice, prudence, and strength, and reclining figures representing peace, war, love, and honesty. The loggia columns are also remarkable. The beams are decorated with clown heads, the portrayal of a bull, a deer, a few roses, and a Christogram of the letters IHS. The loggia columns are also remarkable. The beams are decorated with clown heads, the portrayal of a bull, a deer, a few roses, and a Christogram of the letters IHS. The third gallery was originally made of sandstone, with a cornice and trim featuring allegorical statues; however, in the early 19th century the walls were demolished due to instability and replaced with wood.

Interesting and important for history is a simple Renaissance bossed stone entrance portal decorated with the emblem of the house with the initials of the builder (MM). Above it is a stone lintel with a text from the Gospel of John (4:16) in Czech and the year of beginning of the Renaissance reconstruction of the house (1573).

Source: excerpted and translated from Wikipedia and National Heritage Institute portal.

Year of construction: 1573

Cross-listed waymark: [Web Link]

Full inscription: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Buildings and Cornerstones
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.