Cornell--Randall--Bailey Roadhouse - Johnston RI
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member nomadwillie
N 41° 50.007 W 071° 33.426
19T E 287668 N 4634446
Quick Description: The Cornell—Randall—Bailey Roadhouse (also known as the Log Gift and Curtain Shoppe) was built in the late 18th century by Samuel Steere, and was substantially enlarged for use as a tavern in 1821 by Daniel Cornell.
Location: Rhode Island, United States
Date Posted: 5/18/2020 1:12:03 PM
Waymark Code: WM12FVY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:
Originally built by Samuel Steere in 1798, it was a modest 2 1/2 story building. The property was sold to Daniel and Amy Conrnell in 1833. They enlarged the building to its present day size, converting it to a stagecoach stop and roaming house, know as "Cornell's Tavern Stand".

In the 1870's traffic diminished due to the railroads and the Turnpike was made a free road, the business was sold to Shang Bailey, who was a colorful character who once starred in P.T. Barnum's circus as the "Shanghai Giant". Shang converted the building into a bordello/gambling house. Shang paid corrupt police officials in order to sell liquor on Sunday. He also installed slot machines and provided entertainment for his patrons. In 1902 a trolley line was laid out along Hartford Pike between Providence and North Scituate, thereby making the roadhouse easily accessible to Providence patrons. Bailey's Roadhouse soon became well-known throughout southeast New England.

In 1905 Shang experienced a sudden religious conversion. He immediately proceeded to empty his whole stock of liquor into the road, smashed his slot machines with an axe, and permanently closed his tavern. Bailey began selling off portions of the property in 1906. After his death, the old tavern was converted for multi-family occupancy and passed through a number of ownerships until 1976, when it was remodeled into a gift shop by the present owners.

Source: (visit link)

The Cornell—Randall—Bailey Roadhouse (also known as the Log Gift and Curtain Shoppe) is an historic building located at 2737 Hartford Avenue (United States Route 6) in western Johnston, Rhode Island. The oldest portion of this 2-1/2 story wood frame structure was built in the late 18th century by Samuel Steere, and was substantially enlarged for use as a tavern in 1821 by Daniel Cornell. Business at the tavern declined when railroads rendered the highway less important, and the building was adapted for use as a bordello and gambling house in the early 20th century. In the 1970s it was converted for use as a gift shop.

Source: (visit link)
Street address:
2737 Hartford Ave.
Johnston , RI


County / Borough / Parish: Providence

Year listed: 1984

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Periods of significance: 1875-1899, 1825-1849, 1750-1799

Historic function: Commerce/Trade,Domestic

Current function: Commerce/Trade

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 2: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.