Old Jail - Troy, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 58.802 W 090° 58.969
15S E 674728 N 4316496
Quick Description: Now a museum and the home of Lincoln County Historical Society
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 5/17/2020 7:10:55 AM
Waymark Code: WM12FNR
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:

county of site: Lincoln County
Location of site: Corner of Collier St. & Court St., Troy
City lot # 200
Date Built: 1876
Architectural Style: Gothic Revival
Historic Name: Lincoln County Jail/Jailer’s House
Current Owner: L.C. Historical & Archaeological Society

"Completed six years later [after the courthouse construction] in 1876 was a new county jail. Like the courthouse, the jail is extant and was constructed on the site of its predecessor. Designed as a combination jail and residence (for the jailer), the building was constructed by P.J. Pauly & Bro. of St. Louis for an estimated $7,500." ~ Goodspeed. History of Lincoln County, Missouri from the Earliest Time to Present. Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1888, page 278


"211 West Collier Street (Contributing)
The building at 211 W. Collier Street was constructed as the Lincoln County Jail and Jailer’s Residence by P.J. Pauley & Bro. in 1870. The property consists of two adjoined buildings, both of which are brick. At the west end of the complex is a one-story jail with a flat roof. Access to the jail was via the jailer’s residence – a two-story brick Italianate building at the east end of the property. The jail is Gothic Revival with corner brick buttresses and a stepped corbel table near the roofline. A single Gothic arched window is noted at the north elevation of the brick ell that connects the jail to the residential two-story wing. Remaining windows on the jail wing have limestone bell arches. All of the jail’s windows are covered with exterior vertical iron bars. The two-story residential wing has a low hipped roof clad with asphalt shingles, exterior five-course common bond brick walls and a limestone foundation. The residence has off-center entrances on the south and north elevations. The south elevation retains an original wood paneled door with a single-light transom. The door is offset at the east by a single window. Paired Italianate brackets are visible below the roofline cornice. All of the windows are two-over-two, double-hung design with stone swag arches and stone sills. The property is currently utilized by the Lincoln County Historical & Archaeological Society." ~ NRHP Nomination Form

Public/Private: Public

Tours Available?: Yes

Year Built: 1870

Web Address: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:

Category Visiting Requirements


An original photo is necessary to log a visit in this category along with a description of the visit. No extra visit requirements are allowed by the waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Victorian Style Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.