Clinton County, Iowa
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 41° 51.037 W 090° 11.282
15T E 733434 N 4637014
Quick Description: This waymark is centered on the Clinton County Courthouse located at 1900 North Third Street in Clinton, Iowa.
Location: Iowa, United States
Date Posted: 5/15/2020 8:45:11 PM
Waymark Code: WM12FDT
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Jake39
Views: 2

Long Description:
The Place:

From the Wikipedia page for Clinton County, Iowa: (link)

"Clinton County is a county located in the U.S. state of Iowa. As of the 2010 census, the population was 49,116. Its county seat is Clinton. Its name is in honor of the seventh Governor of New York State, DeWitt Clinton.

Clinton County comprises the Clinton, IA Micropolitan Statistical Area, which is also included in the Davenport–Moline–Rock Island Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Clinton County was formed on December 21, 1837. It was named for DeWitt Clinton, a Governor of New York and most ardent advocate for the construction of the Erie Canal. The cities of DeWitt and Clinton were also named after him.

In 1835, Elijah Buell built a log cabin for himself and his family and was thus the first settler of the region. In 1854, the first newspaper was issued and in 1858, the Lyons Female College for girls opened its doors. The tuition was set at $175 per student.

The county has used three courthouses in its history. The structure currently in use was constructed in Romanesque style and opened in 1897.

Clinton county was first settled in 1836, by Mr. Bourne, who located upon Sec. 1, T. 80, R. 4, East. The county was surveyed in 1837, by the Messrs. Burtz. The Surveyor General's office was then at Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1840, the county was organized by Sheriff Bourne. In 1841, R. R. Bed ford and others formed a little settlement at De Witt, and during the same year Messrs. Wheeler and Evans erected a log court-house. In stepping from the past to the present, we quote the language of one of the "oldest inhabitants." He says: "Clinton County was originally settled by the poorest class of people on God's earth; and it is with great pleasure that I have witnessed their progress, slow but sure, and now find the most of them very comfortably situated."

The population of this County in 1840, was 821; in 1850, 2822; in 1854, 7000; and in 1856, 11,000. The population of Lyons in 1850, was 453. In 1856 the population increased to 2700."

The Person:

From the Wikipedia page for DeWitt Clinton: (link)

"DeWitt Clinton (March 2, 1769 – February 11, 1828) was an American politician and naturalist who served as a United States Senator, Mayor of New York City and sixth Governor of New York. In this last capacity, he was largely responsible for the construction of the Erie Canal. Clinton was a major candidate for the American presidency in the election of 1812, challenging incumbent James Madison.

A nephew of long-time New York Governor George Clinton, DeWitt Clinton served as his uncle's secretary before launching his own political career. As a Democratic-Republican, Clinton won election to the New York State Legislature in 1798 before briefly serving as a U.S. Senator. Returning to New York, Clinton served three terms as Mayor of New York City and also won election as the Lieutenant Governor of New York. In the 1812 election, Clinton won support from the Federalists as well as a group of Democratic-Republicans dissatisfied with Madison. Though Madison won re-election, Clinton carried most of the Northeastern United States and fared significantly better than the previous two Federalist-supported candidates. After the presidential election, Clinton continued to affiliate with the Democratic-Republican Party.

Clinton served as Governor of New York from 1817 to 1822 and from 1825 to 1828, presiding over the construction of the Erie Canal. Clinton believed that infrastructure improvements could transform American life, drive economic growth, and encourage political participation. He heavily influenced the development of New York State and the United States."
Year it was dedicated: 1837

Location of Coordinates: County Courthouse

Related Web address (if available): [Web Link]

Type of place/structure you are waymarking: County

Visit Instructions:
  • Please post a comment and photo.
  • A "visited" only remark will be deleted.
  • A "visited" remark by the 'Waymark Owner' at the time of posting is not appreciated and won't be accepted. If visiting at another time a "Visit" would be acceptable.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest People-Named Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.