1222 & 1728 - Dominikánský klášter / Dominican convent - Znojmo (South Moravia)
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
N 48° 51.370 E 016° 03.045
33U E 577074 N 5411998
Quick Description: Two chronograms on the entrance portal of Dominican convent (Dominikánský klášter) in Znojmo indicate the years of the convent establishment and the laying the foundation stone of the its Baroque western wing.
Location: Jihomoravský kraj, Czechia
Date Posted: 5/6/2020 9:33:38 AM
Waymark Code: WM12DP1
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 6

Long Description:

Two chronograms on the entrance portal of Dominican convent (Dominikánský klášter) in Znojmo indicate the years of the convent establishment and the laying the foundation stone of the its Baroque western wing.

Complex of the Dominican convent, founded together with convent church of the Holy Cross probably in 1222, belongs among the oldest ecclesiastical institutions in Znojmo. The convent and the Church of the Holy Cross are located in the historic center of Znojmo and with short breaks belong to the Dominican order. The economic rise of the convention was due to donations from the aristocratic family of lords of Vajtmile in the second half of the 15th century. This period is documented by the still preserved parts of the cloister in the north, east and south wings. On the contrary, the Thirty Years' War meant an economic, even existential, disaster for the convention. Fortunately, in the second half of the 17th century, the convent was gradually restored, culminating in the construction of a monumental high Baroque western wing (towards Dolní Ceská Street) in the first third of the 18th century. The architect was probably Franz Knight de Roetiers from Vienna. However, the plan to continue the general reconstruction of the convention on the other wings was eventually abandoned due to lack of funds. The Convention subsequently suffered during the Wars of the Austrian Succession (1742), during the Napoleonic Wars (1809) and especially during the Austro-Prussian War (1866). During the First World War, a military hospital was established here. The activities of the Znojmo Dominicans were terminated by the communist rule in 1950 and the convent was occupied and used by the Border guards. Later (after 1960) it housed s Vocational school and some offices. The complex was eventually returned into hands of the Dominican order in 1990.

The Dominican Convent is a historically valuable medieval monastic complex, the eastern and southern wings of the convent date from ca 1300, the cloister and the chapter hall have vaults from ca 1500. The whole convent underwent Baroque completion and reconstruction and forms an important architectural element of Znojmo.


The entrance portal of the convent bears marble tablet with following chronograms:

CrVX ab ottogaro prIMItVs ereCta”
[ "kríž Otakarem prvním vztycen" ]
[ "cross by Otakar the First erected" ]

Summa of Latin numerals from the first chronogram, MCCXVVII, gives the (legendary?) date, when the convent was founded by Czech king Premysl Ottokar I - 1222.


InIVrIá rerVM CoLLapsá, DenVo restaVratVr”
[ "Poškozen zrícením, opet obnoven" ]
[ "Damaged by collapse, restored again" ]

Summa of Latin numerals from the second chronogram, MDCCVVVVVIII, gives the date when the foundation stone of its monumental Baroque western wing was layed - 1728.

Type of numerals used: Roman

Text of the original chronogram: see the Detailed Description

English translation of the chronogram: see the Detailed Description

Pure chronogram?: no

Natural chronogram?: no

Website explaining the chronogram: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Please upload at least one photo that you took during your visit. Tell us how you like the chronogram, what its condition is and so on.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Chronograms
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.