1732 & 1771 - Kostel Nalezení svatého Kríže / Church of the Finding of the Holy Cross - Znojmo (South Moravia)
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
N 48° 51.383 E 016° 03.043
33U E 577072 N 5412022
Quick Description: Two chronograms on the entrance portal of Baroque convent Church of the Finding of the Holy Cross (Kostel Nalezení svatého Kríže) in Znojmo indicate the year of the portal building and the end of Late-Baroque church's adaptation.
Location: Jihomoravský kraj, Czechia
Date Posted: 5/6/2020 6:27:26 AM
Waymark Code: WM12DNG
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 5

Long Description:

Two chronograms on the entrance portal of Baroque convent Church of the Finding of the Holy Cross (Kostel Nalezení svatého Kríže) in Znojmo indicate the year of the portal building and the end of Late-Baroque church's adaptation.

The monumental Church of the Finding of the Holy Cross, part of the Dominican Convent in Znojmo and the parish church of local Holy Cross parish, belongs among the exceptionally high-quality early Baroque sacral buildings in South Moravia. Church of the Finding of the Holy Cross (sometimes erroneously referred to as the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross or just the Church of the Holy Cross) is inextricably linked with the Dominican Order and its convent in Znojmo. It was probably founded together with the convent in 1230. This Gothic church had a rich history as a pilgrimage site, because it owned a larger fragment of the Holy Cross. Pilgrims came not only from nearby Austria, but also from Hungary. A great fire destroyed the church and the convent in 1555, the library, the monastery archive were destroyed and also the valuable fragment of the Holy Cross was lost.

The repair and reconstruction of the destroyed church began as early as the end of the 16th century, but significant progress in construction was not made until around 1630 - so the rough new Baroque structure of the church was completed in 1635. Significant financial contributions from donors for the completion began to increase in 1642 - so two new prismatic towers were completed in 1653. During the reconstruction, the then popular early Baroque three-nave layout was used, in which the side naves form separate chapels connected only by narrow passages. The church was finished with the help of Emperor Ferdinand III and local noble families in 1675 and its ceremonial consecration (together with 13 altars) was performed by Jan Josef Bedrich, auxiliary bishop of Olomouc, Count Breuner on July 12, 1677. A high-Baroque entrance portal was added, both towers were raised and fitted with onion roofs with lanterns and the late-Baroque adaptation and interior decorations were finished during the 18th century (see chronograms explanation).

In the richly decorated interior of the church you can find works of high artistic value: a Baroque organ from 1755 built by I. Kasparid, statues of the Dominican monk Klaus Heinz, paintings by L. Kracker or J. Winterhalter and also a late Baroque altarpiece of the Apparition of St. Norbert by F. A. Maulbertsch, originally painted for the summer refectory of the Louka Convent. Crowds of believers have been attracted to the church by the miraculous love image of the Our Lady of Znojmo since the 17th century.

Source: excerpted and translated from Wikipedia and National Heritage Institute portal.


The entrance portal of the church bears marble tablet with following chronograms:

“porta eXstrVCta CrVCI, CrVX Vt sIt pVbLICa LVCI eXCItet, aC fLeCtat, XenIo bona gaVDIa neCtat”
[ "Brána postavena Kríži, aby se Kríž stal verejným svetlem, at povzbuzuje a dojímá, jako dar at chystá ušlechtilé radosti" ]
[ "The gate built for the Cross, so that the Cross may become a public light, may it encourage and impress, as a gift may it prepare noble joys" ]

Summa of Latin numerals from the first chronogram, DCCCCCCCCCCLLLXXXXVVVVVVVIIIIIII, gives the date when the high-Baroque entrance portal was added - 1732.


“sICqVe faCIt pIetas, Vt sIt LaVs DebIta MatrI
[ "A tak se zbožnost postará, aby byla vzdávána povinná úcta Matce" ]
[ "And so devoutness will ensure, that obligatory respect will be paid to the Mother" ]

Summa of Latin numerals from the second chronogram, MDCCLVVVIIIIII, gives the date when the late-Baroque adaptation of the whole church exterior and interior was finished - 1771.

Type of numerals used: Roman

Text of the original chronogram: see the Detailed Description

English translation of the chronogram: see the Detailed Description

Pure chronogram?: no

Natural chronogram?: no

Website explaining the chronogram: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Please upload at least one photo that you took during your visit. Tell us how you like the chronogram, what its condition is and so on.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Chronograms
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.