255 - Martha's Chapel Cemetery - Walker County, TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Raven
N 30° 38.942 W 095° 38.032
15R E 247595 N 3393665
Quick Description: The old section of Martha's Chapel Cemetery a 1/4 mile West of Bowden Road in a rural section of Walker County, Texas.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 4/19/2020 2:20:14 PM
Waymark Code: WM12BE3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member SearchN
Views: 6

Long Description:
Per the Texas historical marker on site:

"Robinson's settlement became a stronghold for Methodist activity in Southeast Texas in the early 1830s. By 1839 a campground, church, and school were established here on land given by William and Elizabeth Robinson to The Rev. Littleton Fowler, Superintendent of Methodism in the Republic of Texas.

Early clergy who visited and served here included Isaac Strickland, Jesse Hord, Joseph P. Sneed, and Bishop Thomas A. Morris. The Fourth Texas Methodist Conference met here in 1843, with Bishop James O. Andrew presiding.

The church and the area became known as Martha's Chapel in 1854 after Martha Palmer, wife of a church trustee, died and was buried behind the church building. During the pastorate of The Rev. James G. Johnson (1812- 1887), it was also referred to as Johnson's Chapel. At his death, Johnson bequeathed funds to complete the construction of the third and last place of worship at this site. It was dedicated on October 18, 1887, by Bishop W. W. Duncan.

Although the congregation disbanded in the 1930s, ending a century of Methodism in this area, the Martha's Chapel Cemetery remains as a reminder of the area's pioneer heritage.
"

-=-=-=-=-

Also, a very descriptive article from "TexasEscapes":

"Just outside of Huntsville lies a forgotten community tucked away down a winding dirt road under the pines. Little remains of the early East Texas community, with the exception of one of the oldest burial grounds in Walker County and memories passed on from early settlers.

Martha’s Chapel is a church community located approximately seven miles southwest of Huntsville in south central Walker County. The area has been known by many names throughout its existence. It has been referred to as Johnson’s Chapel, Trinity Church, as well as Robinson’s Settlement. The site is on an unimproved road midway between Farm roads 1374 and 1791, also commonly referred to as Bowden Road and in more recent years, Demon's Road. The Rev. Moses Speer came to Texas in about 1837, to participate in the “Texas Mission” of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. The “mission”, of course, was to bring Methodism to the new Republic of Texas. Until Texas won its independence at the Battle of San Jacinto in April of 1836, the official religion of Mexican Texas was Catholicism, and the preaching of other religions was strictly forbidden. Speer rode a circuit that included the towns of Montgomery and Huntsville, however, there were towns in early Texas at that time. He preached at gatherings in homes. He was revered as a good “soul-winner”.

William Robinson was a devout Methodist, and gave 30-plus acres of land to the “Texas Mission” to build a campground, church building, school, and it also contained a cemetery. The William Robinson Settlement was home to any preacher, of any denomination, especially circuit riding ministers. Robinson had two sons-in-law who were Methodist circuit riding preachers.

The Methodist church built on the land provided by Robinson is believed to have been the first church constructed in Walker County. The church was initially built in the 1830s and eventually became known as Robinson’s Settlement. The church shared its building with other denominations as well.

In 1840, the Rev. Moses Speer became seriously ill while staying at the Robinson Settlement and died. Speer was the first person buried in the cemetery where the first campground originally stood. Today his grave can still be found with ease in the cemetery. In 1843, the fourth Texas Methodist Conference held its annual meeting there. Sometime after the conference the local congregation adopted the name Trinity Church. In 1855 John C. Black donated twenty acres to the original Robinson grant, and a new building was erected near the old church. The original log structure was then moved and turned into a barn.

The designation Martha’s Chapel was possibly derived from one of the names of the first church members buried in the new church’s cemetery. Martha Palmer was the wife of church trustee Anthony C. Palmer and many believe the cemetery is named after her. During the Civil War attendance at Trinity Church declined. Rev. James G. Johnson had recently returned to Martha’s Chapel in 1863, and constructed a smaller building that was known for a while as Johnson’s Chapel. The surrounding rural neighborhood also maintained a school, though the bell rang only sporadically in the early years. In 1896 the Martha’s Chapel school employed two teachers, Miss Ona Randolph and Miss Mary Sterne. The schoolhouse remained as late as 1936 but was closed soon thereafter. By the 1990s only the cemetery remained at the site.

All that remains of this early pioneer settlement is Martha’s Chapel Cemetery. The cemetery sits beneath the cluster of old pines and cedars, where the East Texas sunshine can only peer through from time to time. A stroll among the old tombstones tells the story of the early settlers who left their mark on the area."
Type of marker: Numbered

UMC Historic Site #: 255

Your link to the UMC page where your waymark is cited.: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Please provide a picture and details of your visit.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Historic United Methodist Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Raven visited 255 - Martha's Chapel Cemetery - Walker County, TX 4/16/2020 Raven visited it