Kaple Sv. Judy Tadeáše / St. Jude the Apostle Chapel - Dobrichovice (Central Bohemia)
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
N 49° 55.549 E 014° 16.436
33U E 447885 N 5530635
Quick Description: Coat of arms of Knights of the Cross with the Red Star, historic owners of Dobrichovice demesne, decorates gable of Baroque St. Jude the Apostle Chapel (kaple Sv. Judy Tadeáše) in Chateau Dobrichovice (zámek Dobrichovice).
Location: Středočeský kraj, Czechia
Date Posted: 4/4/2020 3:15:29 AM
Waymark Code: WM1297Y
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 13

Long Description:

Coat of arms of Knights of the Cross with the Red Star, historic owners of Dobrichovice demesne, decorates gable of Baroque St. Jude the Apostle Chapel (kaple Sv. Judy Tadeáše) in Chateau Dobrichovice (zámek Dobrichovice).


Knights of the Cross with the Red Star CoA

The Knights of the Cross with the Red Star or Military Order of the Crusaders of the Red Star (Czech: Križovnický rád rytíru s cervenou hvezdou; Latin: Ordo Militaris Crucigerorum cum Rubea Stella) is a religious order originating from Bohemia, devoted mainly to offering medical care. Throughout its history it was accustomed to the use of arms, a custom which was confirmed in 1292 by an ambassador of Pope Nicholas IV. The grand master is still invested with a sword at his induction into office, and the congregation has been recognized as a military order by Popes Clement X and Innocent XII, as well as by several Holy Roman Emperors.


St. Jude the Apostle Chapel forms the western wing of the Chateau Dobrichovice, which was built at the site of Gothic fortress from the 14th century. Chapel is a single nave-Baroque building with a square hall. The Chateau, originally Renaissance, suffered during the Thirty Years War when it was burned down by the Swedish army and almost destroyed in 1639. Under the grand master of the Order of Jirí Ignác Pospíchal, the chateau was reconstructed and the new Baroque St. Jude Chapel was constructed (ca 1676). One hundred years later the castle burnt down again, but it was rebuilt in the next. On the original Renaissance foundation, the building was rebuilt in the late Baroque style and chateau clock tower was also added. Nowadays, the Chateau is again the property of the Knights of the Cross with the Red Star who are gradually reconstructing it.

Name of Military Order: Other Order from Wikipedia List (Specify in the Description)

Link documenting charitable acts: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Posters must have physically visited the location. Uploading an original photo is strongly encouraged.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Legacy of Medieval Spiritual Warriors
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.