Stony United Methodist Church Food Pantry - Stony, TX, USA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 33° 13.420 W 097° 21.268
14S E 653338 N 3677290
Quick Description: The Stony United Methodist Church is located at 13911 Old Stony Rd, Stony, TX, and they have what they call a "self serv food pantry" on the grounds.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 4/2/2020 10:10:02 AM
Waymark Code: WM12929
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member elyob
Views: 4

Long Description:
There are no signs on the box, but there is a photo of it on the main page of the church's website, describing it as a "self-serv food pantry", encouraging anyone in need to use it. As of this posting, its about 3/4 full, mostly with canned goods, but also some dried goods like rice and corn flakes. The box itself is made of wood, standing on a metal post, and there is a bit of a slope to the roof, which is protected by shingles that come down over the sides. The door is a bit rickety, and the stain is wearing off, no surprise in this part of Denton County where storms can be pretty nasty.

This church, the Stony School (on the property adjacent to the church), the Stony Cemetery, and a few odds and sods, like an old service station, are about all that remain of Stony, TX -- sometimes "Stoney" -- and the nearest municipality is Ponder, a little over seven miles away. The church website doesn't provide much in the way of history -- the minister told me that they've had services there since at least the 1940s -- so the Handbook of Texas Online fills in with some information about this nearly-vanished community:

Stony is on Farm Road 2622 two miles east of the Wise county line and ten miles west of Denton in far west Denton County. It was settled in the late 1850s and was named for the stony area in which it was located. Its population never exceeded fifty, probably due to the emergence of Justin, eight miles southwest, as a shipping point for area farmers. Stony had a post office from 1879 to 1918. In 1884 it had a mill, a gin, four churches, two schools, and a population estimated at 130. By 1890 the population had dropped to fifty. In 1914 the town had 100 residents, a doctor, a blacksmith, and at least two stores. From 1933 to 2000 its population was estimated at twenty-five. In 2004 a school building dating back to 1884 still stood in the community, and a restored 1839 log cabin, located nearby, was open to the public as local museum.

Physical Address:
13911 Old Stony Rd
Stony (Ponder), TX USA
76259


Related Website: [Web Link]

Available 24/7 ?: yes

Visit Instructions:

First and foremost respect the privacy of anyone in the area.

Post at least one photo taken during your Waymarking visit along with your comments about the LFP or your visit.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Little Free Pantry
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.