St. John Parish Church - Hackleton's Cliff, Barbados
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member neoc1
N 13° 11.106 W 059° 29.882
21P E 229234 N 1458952
Quick Description: St. John Parish (Anglican) Church is located in St. John Parish on the east side of the central coast of Barbados.
Location: Barbados
Date Posted: 3/31/2020 4:38:00 AM
Waymark Code: WM128R6
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 0

Long Description:

St. John Parish Church is listed as and historic property by the Barbados National Trust as a building of historic and architectural interest.

St. John Parish Church was first constructed in 1645. It is one of the oldest churches in Barbados. The current Gothic style stone church was built in 1836 to replace a previous structure which had been destroyed by hurricane in 1831. The chancel was added to the church in 1876.

The church is sited on a cliff side location with a church graveyard at the back of the church. The graveyard includes the grave of former Prime Minister of Barbados David John Howard Thompson. The entrance of the church is through a four story tall, square tower with Gothic arch portals on three sides. The roof line is crenelated all around, including the top of the tower.

A plaque inside the church is inscribed:

ST. JOHN PARISH CHURCH
FIRST ERECTED 1645
DESTROYED BY FIRE AND
REBUILT 1676-DESTROYED
BY HURRICANE AND
REDEDICATED 1836

Blue Plaque managing agency: Barbados National Trust

Individual Recognized: St. John Parish Church

Physical Address:
St. John Parish Church
Hackleton's Cliff, St. John Parish Barbados


Web Address: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To log an entry for a "Blue Plaque," please try to include a picture of you next to the plaque!
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Blue Plaques
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.