Sultana Building - Williams Historic Business District - Williams, Arizona
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 35° 15.000 W 112° 11.372
12S E 391781 N 3901416
Quick Description: This one-story, concrete block building is located at 301 West Route 66 in Williams, Arizona.
Location: Arizona, United States
Date Posted: 3/11/2020 12:11:31 PM
Waymark Code: WM126G7
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 6

Long Description:
THE "WORLD FAMOUS" SULTANA

Constructed of formed concrete
block in 1912, this saloon and
billiard hall included a buffet
for the townspeople who used it as
a gathering place. Named for the
famous Sultana ruby of India.
During Prohibition the basement
Speakeasy provided bootleg liquor
and gambling by invitation only.

- Marker Text



Historic Property Name: Sultana Building
Architect/Builder: Ben Sweetwood
Construction/Modification Dates: 1912

The Sultana Building is a large, high, single-story square plan commercial building approximately 90 x 90 feet, constructed of rusticated concrete block. It has a horizontal parapet and is divided by block walls into three units. The western unit was a bar, the central unit a theater, and the western unit was office and businesses divided into two store front bays with large plate glass windows. Although the Sultana primarily faces north onto Bill Williams Ave., its east facade facing 3rd st. is clearly visible with concrete sills and lintels. The rear has a section which was added to the building in 1937. This was used as a business office. The metal panels in the gable end are placed above rusticated cement block.

The interior has been paneled over, but there are plans to restore it. The window enclosures are recoverable and the building is in need of maintenance, but despite this, the Sultana still retains a high level of integrity.

The Sultana Building, built by Ben Sweetwood in 1912, is historically significant as a major commercial building in Williams which housed the city offices for over forty years, the local newspaper, the first talking picture show in northern Arizona, and was the location of many civic functions as well as entertainment. During prohibition the basement was used for gambling and drinking and later closed to the public. Architecturally, the Sultana is one of the few local examples of early concrete block industry. Its massiveness and styling contribute to the overall integrity of the District, and its role in the entertainment and civic functions for the citizens of Williams makes it an important contributor to the history of Williams.

- National Register Application

Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Williams Historic Business District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

Address:
301 West Route 66
Williams, Arizona 86046


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): Not listed

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.