St Peter - Church Lawford, Warwickshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 23.000 W 001° 20.142
30U E 613272 N 5804978
Quick Description: Medieval church of St Peter, Church Lawford.
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 3/5/2020 11:07:19 AM
Waymark Code: WM125PP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 0

Long Description:
Medieval church of St Peter, Church Lawford.

"The church of ST. PETER is situated to the east of the village, standing on the north side of a large churchyard. It consists of a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower, north porch, and a vestry. It was rebuilt in the gothic style in hammer-dressed sandstone ashlar in 1874, and all that has been retained of the previous church is three bays of the 14th-century north arcade, two piscinas, the font, and some fragments of tracery and early-14th-century slabs with foliated crosses built into the tower walls. A low side window and two lancets, redressed and restored have been re-used in the north wall of the chancel.

The chancel has a tiled roof and is lighted on the north by the low side window, a lancet, and a pointed three-light window; on the east by one of five lights; and on the south by one three-light. All the windows except the re-used lancets and low side are traceried and have hood-moulds with carved stops. The aisles have low-pitched lean-to roofs covered with lead, and the nave a tiled one of steep pitch. Each aisle is lighted by four two-light windows, with single ones east and west. The clearstory has five three-light windows on each side.

The tower, which rises in three stages, divided by string-courses, has buttresses at each angle, and a battlemented parapet with gargoyles at each angle. On the north side is the tower staircase, square, splayed to an octagonal battlemented turret. There are single lights to the second stage and the belfry has two-light traceried windows on each face. The west doorway, combined with a three-light pointed traceried window, has a pointed head, carved spandrels, and a band decorated with three shields and the date 1874. The porch has a moulded pointed entrance arch on detached shafts with foliated capitals and moulded bases. The doorway has a moulded arch with a hoodmould.

The chancel (30 ft. 10 in. by 15 ft. 6 in.) has a 14th-century piscina at the eastern end of the south wall, with an ogee trefoiled head and twin circular basins, the projecting portion a restoration. Opposite, in the north wall, there is an aumbry with a shelf and the iron hinge-pins of a door. There are two steps to the altar, which is modern, but the rails with turned balusters date from the 17th century and below the window on the south side there is some panelling inscribed enis thoi 1618; further sections of this oak panelling are fixed at the eastern ends of both aisles. On the south side an arcade of two bays of pointed arches opens into an organ chamber and vestry.

The nave (51 ft. 4 in. by 15 ft. 6 in.) has an open roof with moulded members, the tie-beams with central carved bosses. The arcades each consist of five bays of pointed arches of two splayed orders on octagonal pillars with moulded capitals and bases. The three eastern bays of the north arcade are 14th century, the pillars being constructed of alternate courses of light and red sandstone. Below the corbel supporting the east bay there is a 14th-century piscina with a trefoil ogee head, fitted with a modern circular basin. The chancel arch is of two moulded orders with a hoodmould, the inner order supported on moulded corbels. The pulpit, placed to the south of the chancel arch, is octagonal with carved panels and dates from the 17th century; it stands on a modern stone base. The font in the south-west corner is octagonal, of red sandstone with a moulded basin on an octagonal stem splayed to a square base. It dates from the 14th century and has a deep lead-lined basin.

The south aisle (51 ft. 4 in. by 10 ft. 6 in.) has a dummy south doorway with a round head and standing in the recess so formed there is a memorial slab with the following inscription:

Here in a steedfast hope of joyful resurrection resteth ye bodye of Tho: Evans Gentleman, borne at Henlan in ye coun: of denbigh who attended on ye great seale of England as ordinarie messenger about XXX yeares & about 13 yeares one of ye 4 ordinarye of ye receipt he gave by his last will fyftye poundes for a stock to continnue for ever that ye profit thereof yearilie raused might be imployed towards ye repayre of this church where his body is interred. Besides divers other good soms of money for ye releefe of ye poore & repaire of ye churches in such places as he had lived in and having accomplished ye age of LXXVII years he deceased at Newenham Regis ye XII day of august AoD MDCXII.

At the east end there is an arched opening to the organ chamber. The north aisle is the same length as the south but 11 ft. 6 in. wide.

The tower (10 ft. square) paved with stone, has a painted list of charities on the walls, and a framed Royal Arms of George III. The arch is pointed, of five splayed orders to the nave and two to the tower, the inner order supported on moulded corbels.

Of the bells, the treble, by Watts of Leicester, 1621, was given by Mark Brewster, a London wool merchant who died at Moscow. Two others were recast by J. Taylor & Co. in 1872. A fourth bell was added later, and in 1932 the ring was augmented to six.

The plate consists of a pewter flagon; a silver flagon, the gift of Revd. R. Edmunds 1851; a silver chalice of 1667; two silver patens of 1851, and two pewter plates.

The registers commence 1575."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.