La fontaine et l'église Saint-Jacques - Rognac, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YvesProvence
N 43° 29.258 E 005° 14.054
31T E 680664 N 4817393
Quick Description: La fontaine et l'église Saint-Jacques de Rognac
Location: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Date Posted: 3/5/2020 8:10:40 AM
Waymark Code: WM125NX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 0

Long Description:
FR L'église
Le 14 juin 1664, Monseigneur François de Grignan, archevêque d’Arles, se rend une seconde fois à la paroisse de Rognac (première visite en 1651). Il ordonne la construction de la nouvelle église à la famille Goyran, originaire de Vitrolles. La même année, Pierre Martin, maçon de Martigues, emporte l’enchère de la construction de la nouvelle église et de la maison claustrale (le presbytère).
L’église a été construite à partir des plans de Jean Jaubert, architecte de la ville d’Aix-en-Provence. On doit notamment à Monsieur Jaubert (1620-1685), les plans de deux hôtels particuliers de la rue Cardinale, de l’hôtel de ville d’Aix et de plusieurs édifices aixois. Le cimetière et le clocher de Rognac feront l’objet d’enchères plus tard. C’est un Goyran qui fait donation de la terre nécessaire à la nouvelle église qui est une terre à blé de haute qualité. Le clocher est construit en 1667, en même temps que le mur du cimetière, situé derrière l’église qui est achevée à ce moment-là.
En 1994, le parvis a été réaménagé. Les cloches, quant à elles, ont été remplacées en novembre 1996 et le chœur a été rénové en 1998.

La fontaine
D’après le Dr. Castel, Médecin, Docteur en histoire et auteur de nombreux livres sur Rognac :
« Le plateau de Vitrolles est creusé d’un immense réseau souterrain naturel dont les cavités et boyaux sont remplis d’une eau qui ne cesse de circuler. C’est par l’une des nombreuses sorties de ce réseau que s’écoule une source appelée Fontaine de Rognac. Elle franchit la barre rocheuse d’Entrecasteau, formant une chute d’eau qui alimente un ruisseau, lequel traversant d’Est en Ouest la plaine de Rognac, prend le nom de Petit-Vallat et va se jeter dans l’étang, à l’extrémité ouest du Boulevard Rockenhausen, au-delà de la RN 113.
Avec le Puits de Rognac, le Vallat fut pendant cinq siècles le seul point d’eau desservant le castrum, qui fut habité du XIème au XVème siècle.
Mais il faut attendre le XIXème siècle pour que l’on installe dans le lit du Petit-Vallat un point de captage, et une canalisation qui conduisit une partie de l’eau vers le village de Rognac-le-Haut, et plus bas, vers le hameau des Peirols (Rognac-le-Bas). Et c’est en 1897 que de grandes festivités célébrèrent l’inauguration de ces deux fontaines en même temps, l’une située place de l’Eglise, l’autre sur une place qui sera dénommée Place de la Liberté l’année suivante, en 1898. Aujourd’hui, seule subsiste la fontaine de la Place de l’Eglise, mais si les alentours furent modifiés à diverses reprises, le monument lui-même n’a pas changé. Nous le voyons tel qu’il y a 100 ans.

Les photos
Sur la photo ancienne, datée de 1910, trouvée sur le site de la mairie, on peut voir la fontaine avec quelques hommes devant, quelques femmes et enfants sur la gauche. En arrière plan, on voit l'église Saint Jacques.
Sur la photo récente, de 2019, je suppose que les gens sont décédés depuis longtemps. La fontaine et l'église sont toujours présentes mais on voit aussi une voiture.
EN The church
On June 14, 1664, Monsignor François de Grignan, Archbishop of Arles, went a second time to the parish of Rognac (first visit in 1651). He ordered the construction of the new church to the Goyran family, originally from Vitrolles. The same year, Pierre Martin, a mason from Martigues, won the auction for the construction of the new church and the cloister house (the presbytery).
The church was built from plans by Jean Jaubert, architect of the city of Aix-en-Provence. We owe in particular to Mr. Jaubert (1620-1685), the plans of two private mansions on rue Cardinale, the town hall of Aix and several Aix buildings. Rognac’s cemetery and bell tower will be auctioned later. It’s a Goyran who donates the necessary land to the new church which is high quality wheat land. The bell tower was built in 1667, at the same time as the cemetery wall, located behind the church which was completed at that time.
In 1994, the forecourt was refurbished. The bells were replaced in November 1996 and the choir was renovated in 1998.

Fountain
According to Dr. Castel, Doctor, Doctor of history and author of many books on Rognac:
"The Vitrolles plateau is hollowed out by a huge natural underground network, the cavities and hoses of which are filled with water that never ceases to circulate. It is through one of the many exits from this network that a source called Fontaine de Rognac flows. It crosses the Entrecasteau rocky bar, forming a waterfall which feeds a stream, which crosses from East to West the plain of Rognac, takes the name of Petit-Vallat and goes to throw itself into the pond, at l west end of Boulevard Rockenhausen, beyond the RN 113.
With the Well of Rognac, the Vallat was for five centuries the only water point serving the castrum, which was inhabited from the 11th to the 15th century.
But it was not until the 19th century that a catchment point was installed in the Petit-Vallat bed, and a pipeline which led part of the water to the village of Rognac-le-Haut, and lower, towards the hamlet of Peirols (Rognac-le-Bas). And it was in 1897 that great festivities celebrated the inauguration of these two fountains at the same time, one located on Place de l'Eglise, the other on a square which will be called Place de la Liberté the following year, in 1898. Today, only the fountain on the Place de l'Eglise remains, but if the surroundings were modified on several occasions, the monument itself has not changed. We see it as it was 100 years ago.

Photos
On the old photo, dated 1910, found on the town hall site, you can see the fountain with a few men in front, a few women and children on the left. In the background, we can see the Saint Jacques church.
In the recent photo from 2019, I guess people have been dead for a long time. The fountain and the church are still there, but we can also see a car.


Source : https://www.ville-rognac.fr/le-territoire/une-ville-a-decouvrir/histoire-et-patrimoine
Year photo was taken: 1910

Visit Instructions:

To log a visit to each spot you are required to take your own photo. Alternatively you can tell a story about your own experience at the location or any unique information about that location to count as a visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Photos Then and Now
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.