St Laurence - King's Newnham, Warwickshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 23.474 W 001° 20.572
30U E 612764 N 5805845
Quick Description: The site of the Church of St Laurence which was built during the Medieval period. It continued to be used until the end of the 18th century. It fell into disrepair and all but the tower was pulled down.
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 3/4/2020 12:14:20 PM
Waymark Code: WM125KV
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 0

Long Description:
"The church which stood about a quarter of a mile west of the village was still in use in 1730, when Dr. Thomas wrote: 'The seats are very handsome; on the walls of the Church are painted in fresco the four Evangelists in full proportion, on the northside wall of the Chancell, the offerings of the wise men, and on the south wall, the taking down of our Saviour from the Cross.' It was, however, with the exception of the tower, entirely demolished about the middle of the 18th century. The tower now stands in the rick-yard of Hall Farm, the ground floor being used as a chicken house. It is built of roughly coursed limestone rubble with red sandstone dressings and rises in four stages, diminished at each stage by weathered offsets. The upper stage has been rebuilt, and the walls, especially at the angles, repaired with red brickwork. All the floors are missing, but it has a modern roof covered with slates. There are twolight square-headed windows to the third and fourth stages on each face and narrow lights to the second stage on the north and south, that on the north being round-headed. The tower arch has been rebuilt with a round head and above it there is the line of a steeppitched nave roof. It is difficult to assign a date to this tower, the square-headed mullioned windows appear to be insertions, but the narrow round-headed window, which has a widely splayed recess with a round-headed rear-arch has the appearance of late-12th-century work. Within the site of the nave there is an elaborate 19thcentury brass, in the character of the 17th century, placed there in 1852 to mark the spot where Lady Audry, Countess of Chichester, was reburied with other members of the family after a clearance of the site. It has an inscription copied from the one on her lead coffin. This inscription, together with one other, is now lying in one of the adjacent farm sheds, they read as follows: Incised inscription on lead: 'Here is enclosed the body of Mrs. Audrey Leigh, eldest daughter of Francis, Lord Dunsmore, who died 28th January 1640.' Cast lead inscription: 'Here lieth ye body of ye Lady Audry, Countess of Chichester, wife to Francis, Earl of Chichester Lord Dunsmore, the best of women she changed this life for a better the 16 day of September 1652.'

In the farm-house garden there is a font, pillar piscina, and stoop. The font is octagonal with plain sides and a square base, splayed at the angles; the stem is missing. The piscina has a circular shaft with moulded capital and base on a half-octagon pedestal, shaped to fit into an angle. The stoop has a square rim with a circular bowl splayed below to an octagon."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.