Sint-Niklaaskerk - Mesen, Belgium
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 50° 45.841 E 002° 53.934
31U E 492869 N 5623588
Quick Description: [EN] The Saint-Nicolas de Messines church, which dates from 1060, was destroyed in 1917, then completely rebuilt in 1928, identical [FR] L'église Saint-Nicolas de Messines, qui datait de 1060, a été détruite en 1917, puis reconstruite entièrement en 1928, à l'identique
Location: West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Date Posted: 2/18/2020 10:12:56 AM
Waymark Code: WM123M6
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:

" The church, with its domed tower, can be seen from miles away. The building was restored to its pre-war state in 1928. This church originally served as an abbey church for the convent of Saint Benedict and was erected by countess Adela of France.

The church is adorned with a magnificent chandelier (1,94 metres wide) in yellow copper and many wall lights, designed for and given to the church by Otto Meyer, a German veteran who survived the battle of Messines.

This 11th century roman crypt is the only monument in Messines that is officially classified and protected. Countess Adela was buried here on 8th January 1079. She was the daughter of the French King Robert the Pious, wife of Baldwin V (Count of Flanders), mother of the English Queen Mathilda and thus "ancestress" of the British Royal Family.

The crypt, where the Germans installed their headquarters, was restored in 1931 in its original state after the devastations of World War I.

Sources : The Church

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

"L'église, avec sa tour en forme de dôme, est visible à des kilomètres de là. Le bâtiment a été restauré dans son état d'avant-guerre en 1928. Cette église servait à l'origine d'abbatiale au couvent de Saint Benoît et a été érigée par la comtesse Adela de France.

L'église est ornée d'un magnifique lustre (1,94 mètre de large) en cuivre jaune et de nombreuses appliques murales, conçu pour et donné à l'église par Otto Meyer, un vétéran allemand qui a survécu à la bataille de Messines.

Cette crypte romane du XIe siècle est le seul monument de Messines officiellement classé et protégé. La comtesse Adela a été enterrée ici le 8 janvier 1079. Elle était la fille du roi français Robert le Pieux, épouse de Baldwin V (comte de Flandre), mère de la reine anglaise Mathilda et donc «ancêtre» de la famille royale britannique.

La crypte, où les Allemands ont installé leur quartier général, a été restaurée en 1931 dans son état d'origine après les ravages de la Première Guerre mondiale.

Sources : L’Eglise

Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Sint-Niklaaskerk - Mesen, Belgium 2/15/2020 pmaupin visited it