Mexico, Missouri
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 39° 10.344 W 091° 52.971
15S E 596502 N 4336502
Quick Description: Originally called "New Mexico" changed when became county seat...
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 1/13/2020 6:30:32 AM
Waymark Code: WM11YVK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member kaschper69
Views: 3

Long Description:

County of city: Audrain County
Location of courthouse: W. Jackson St & S. Jefferson St., Mexico
Location of city: Just S. of center on this odd shaped county; crossroads of MO-15 & US-54, MO-22
Founded: 1836
Elevation: 801 ft (244 m)
Population: 11,506 (2017)

"Mexico: The county seat, in Salt River Township. Laid out in April, 1836, (recorded April 25, 1836) by Robert Mansfield and James H. Smith and named for the country of Mexico, in recognition of the increasing excitement over independence of Texas from Mexico, which led to the Mexican War. The note of the name was expected to bring popularity to the town. By error referred to in State Laws (1836) as New Mexico." ~ Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, Campbell, p. 49, County Plat Book NO. 2; History of N.E. Missouri, Vol. I, pp. 186, 223


"The original town of Mexico was located in the central portion of the northwest quarter of Sec. 26, Twp. 51, R. 9, and was laid out in April, 1836, by Robert C. Mansfield and James H. Smith... After laying out the town these gentlemen offered to give every alternate lot and a public square to the county, provided that the site was selected by the county as its seat of justice. The commissioners appointed by the Legislature to locate the county seat, selected the town of Mexico. The first sale of lots by Mansfield occurred in the fall of 1836.

"The pioneer business men of the town were Morris & White (J. B. Morris and William White)...

"Mansfield & Smith opened the first grocery in the town, beginning soon after Morris & White...James L. Stephenson sold dry goods as early as 1840. He purchased a great many hickory nuts during the fall of that year--amounting to several hundred bushels--and the price fell to almost nothing. J. B. Morris, of Mexico, purchased 100 bushels of these nuts for one dollar, and fed them to his hogs...

"George W. Turley was among the first merchants.
It covers several sections in Twp. 51 N, R. 9 W, at the junction of 54, 153, 22 & FF.

"Dr. L. N. Hunter established the first drug store in 1850; Dr. Matthew Walton was the first physician. One of the first blacksmiths was C. R. Ward; L. L. Ransey was the proprietor of the first saloon. Fulcher, McGrue, Joseph Mallory and Mrs. Penny were the first school teachers in the town. McGrue died in the town, while his school was in progress.... " ~ History of Audrain County, 1888, National Historical Society, pp. 183, 185; Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conard, Volume IV, pp. 370-371.


"Named for the country of that name, and which was named from the Mexican name for the Maguy plant, which gave the people of that country the necessities of life. It was so named in recognition of the excitement at that time in the State over the growing controversy between Mexico and the United States concerning the independence of Texas." ~ How MO Counties, Towns and Streams Were Named, Eaton, First Article, p. 204.

Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.