Chapelle Saint-Corneille du Hamelet - Favières, Somme
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 50° 13.598 E 001° 40.795
31U E 405840 N 5564663
Quick Description: [EN] The Chapel of Hamelet, near Favières, a little away from the village, has a classified bell from 1541. [FR] La Chapelle du Hamelet, près de Favières, un peu à l'écart du village, dispose d'une cloche de 1541 classée.
Location: Hauts-de-France, France
Date Posted: 1/11/2020 10:16:14 AM
Waymark Code: WM11YE9
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 3

Long Description:

" History

Founded in the 11th century, on an islet then near the coast, the Saint-Corneille chapel was partly rebuilt in the 16th century (choir), by the count of Essarts de Meigneulx, lord of Hamelet.

In the 18th century, one of his descendants, Louis Charles des Essars, renovated it and made it his burial place. In 1850, the chapel, the previous possession of Nolette, became property in Favières. Around 1900, it served as a fodder barn.

Damaged during the Second World War, occupied by the Germans, it was restored in 1954.

Features

The nave is built in pebbles and flint, the choir was built around 1570 in white stones. It is higher than the nave. A bell tower with a campenard surmounts the facade; its bell is dated 1541. It is classified as a historic monument by object.

An apparent “overturned boat hull” frame covers the whole. Four Romanesque bays light up the building. Under the altar of the chapel was buried the count of Essarts, deceased in 1772. Acoustic pots, a painted Stations of the Cross and plaster statues are visible in the chapel.

In 1954, stained glass windows were installed by apprentices from the Franco-American Foundation in Berck. Above the front door has been hung since 2013 a painting by Louis Hispa, painter living in Favières, Christ on the cross, made in 1955. "

Sources : The Church from what Wikipedia tells us.

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" Historique

Fondée au XIe siècle, sur un îlot alors près de la côte, la chapelle Saint-Corneille fut reconstruite en partie au XVIe siècle (chœur), par le comte des Essarts de Meigneulx, seigneur du Hamelet.

Au XVIIIe siècle, un de ses descendants, Louis Charles des Essars, la rénove et en fait sa sépulture. En 1850, la chapelle, précédente possession de Nolette, passe en propriété à Favières. Vers 1900, elle sert de grange à fourrage.

Endommagée pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale, occupée par les Allemands, elle a été restaurée en 1954.

Caractéristiques

La nef est construite en galets et silex, le chœur fut construit vers 1570 en pierres blanches. Il est plus haut que la nef. Un clocher à campenard surmonte la façade ; sa cloche est datée de 1541. Elle est classée monument historique au titre d'objet.

Une charpente apparente en « coque de bateau renversée » couvre l’ensemble. Quatre baies romanes éclairent l'édifice. Sous l'autel de la chapelle fut inhumé le comte des Essarts, décédé en 1772. Des pots acoustiques, un chemin de croix peint et des statues en plâtre sont visibles dans la chapelle.

En 1954, des vitraux furent posés par les apprentis de la Fondation franco-américaine de Berck. Au-dessus de la porte d'entrée, est accroché depuis 2013, un tableau de Louis Hispa, artiste peintre résidant à Favières, Christ en croix, réalisé en 1955. "

Sources : L’Eglise d'après ce que nous dit Wikipedia.

Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Chapelle Saint-Corneille du Hamelet - Favières, Somme 1/11/2020 pmaupin visited it