Le Château de Dinan - Dinan, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 48° 27.017 W 002° 02.683
30U E 570637 N 5366789
Quick Description: [EN] An emblematic monument of the city, the Château de Dinan stands out as an exceptional testimony to the princely residences of the end of the medieval period. [FR] Monument emblématique de la ville, le Château de Dinan s’impose comme un témoignage exceptionnel des résidences princières de la fin de l’époque médiévale.
Location: Bretagne, France
Date Posted: 12/28/2019 12:16:00 PM
Waymark Code: WM11WDE
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:

"It is a composite set, formed at the end of the 16th century by the Duke of Mercœur from three initially distinct elements: the ducal tower, built in the 1380s by the Duke of Brittany Jean IV, the Porte du Guichet - originally the southern gateway to the city - and the Coëtquen tower, a remarkable artillery tower built at the end of the 15th century during the modernization of the city walls, commissioned by Duke François II.

The whole is part of the urban enclosure of Dinan, built at the end of the 13th century by the Dukes of Brittany, and formerly the third most important of the duchy after those of Nantes and Rennes.

Winner of the war of succession in Brittany, Jean IV the Conqueror, Duke of Brittany, decides to build a master tower in Dinan in 1380 in order to assert his authority in a city that has long supported his rival Charles from Blois. Under the supervision of project manager Étienne le Tur, the site was completed in 1393 and perhaps even as early as 1384.

Formed by two adjoining round towers whose junction is reinforced to the west by a square fore-body, the building rises to more than 30 meters. The crowning is reinforced by machicolated consoles with four projections. The lower projection, very stretched, allows the console to rely on a larger number of seats, while providing a high quality aesthetic rendering. Originally, a slate roof came to cap the whole.

More than a fortress, this construction is above all a princely residence, a veritable "tower-palace" where the distribution of spaces and the high quality of the interior decor meet a strict organization, characteristic of the end of the 14th century.

Thus, on five levels, one succeeds in turn the kitchen, the banquet hall, the facing room and the chapel, and finally the private apartments. Originally, a sixth level and a roof described in 1636 as "a double summit in points covered with slate" came to complete the whole.

Remarkable example of the architecture of the end of the XIVth century, the tower-palace of Dinan is inscribed, by its architectural complexity and the quality of its decoration, among the great princely residences of the period.

At the Brittany level, it is, with the castle of the Dukes of Brittany in Nantes and the castle of Suscinio, a witness to the refinement of the Montfort court.

Abandoned in the 17th century, the Château de Dinan was the subject of two reports, in 1693 and 1701, by the military engineer Siméon Garangeau. Praising the architectural quality of the building, he suggested work to transform the main tower into a military prison. Throughout the 18th century, English sailors stayed there by the hundreds. As a result of these transformations, the roof is definitively replaced by a terrace while the apse of the chapel is drilled to accommodate a new front door8.

Become prison of common law in the XIXth century, the castle is bought at the beginning of the XXth century by the city of Dinan which installs there its municipal museum in 1908. Dedicated to the history and the craft industry of Dinan and its territory, the collections of the Dinan Museum include many ethnographic objects collected in the municipalities of the banks of the Rance. Gradually removed from the castle in 2015, the collections are now kept in municipal reserves.

In 2014, the City of Dinan wished to carry out an ambitious program of restoration and enhancement of the monument made possible thanks to important historical research which allowed another look at the castle. Inaugurated on June 9, 2019, this project includes major work on the monument - starting with the opening to the public of the "Mercoeur underground" and the restitution of the right-of-way of the courtyard of honor - but also the implementation place of a new scenography whose two themes "the art of war in the 15th century" and "daily life in princely residences" are at the service of understanding the castle and its architecture. "

Sources : The Castle .

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" C'est un ensemble composite, constitué à la fin du XVIe siècle par le duc de Mercœur à partir de trois éléments initialement distincts : la tour ducale, édifiée dans la décennie 1380 par le duc de Bretagne Jean IV , la porte du Guichet - à l'origine la porte méridionale de la ville - et la tour Coëtquen, remarquable tour d'artillerie construite à la fin du XVe siècle lors des travaux de modernisation de l'enceinte urbaine, commandités par le duc François II.

L'ensemble fait partie de l'enceinte urbaine de Dinan, construite à la fin du XIIIe siècle par les ducs de Bretagne, et jadis la troisième plus importante du duché après celles de Nantes et de Rennes.

Sorti vainqueur de la guerre de succession de Bretagne, Jean IV le Conquérant, duc de Bretagne, décide de la construction d'une tour maîtresse à Dinan en 1380 dans le but d'affirmer son autorité dans une ville qui a longtemps soutenu son rival Charles de Blois. Sous la conduite du maître d’œuvre Étienne le Tur, le chantier est achevé en 1393 et peut-être même dès 1384.

Formé de deux tours rondes accolées dont la jonction est renforcée à l'ouest par un avant-corps carré, l'édifice culmine à plus de 30 mètres. Le couronnement est renforcé par des consoles de mâchicoulis à quatre ressauts. Le ressaut inférieur, très étiré, permet à la console de s'appuyer sur un nombre d'assises plus important, tout en offrant un rendu esthétique d'une grande qualité. A l'origine, une toiture d'ardoises venait coiffer l'ensemble.

Plus qu'une forteresse, cette construction est avant tout une résidence princière, une véritable "tour-palais" où la distribution des espaces et la grande qualité des décors intérieurs répondent à une organisation stricte, caractéristique de la fin du XIVe siècle.

Ainsi, sur cinq niveaux, se succèdent tour à tour la cuisine, la salle de banquet, la chambre de parement et la chapelle, et enfin les appartements privés. À l'origine, un sixième niveau et une toiture décrite en 1636 comme à « double sommet en pointes couvertes d'ardoises » venait compléter l'ensemble.

Remarquable exemple de l'architecture de la fin du XIVe siècle, la tour-palais de Dinan s'inscrit, de par sa complexité architecturale et la qualité de son décor, parmi les grandes demeures princières de la période.

À l'échelle de la Bretagne, il s'agit, avec le château des ducs de Bretagne à Nantes et le château de Suscinio, d'un témoin du raffinement de la cour des Montfort.

Délaissé au XVIIe siècle, le château de Dinan fait l'objet de deux rapports, en 1693 et 1701, de l'ingénieur militaire Siméon Garangeau. Vantant la qualité architecturale de l'édifice, il suggère des travaux afin de transformer la tour maîtresse en prison militaire. Pendant tout le XVIIIe siècle, des marins anglais vont y loger par centaines. Conséquence de ces transformations, la toiture est définitivement remplacée par une terrasse tandis que le chevet de la chapelle est percé pour accueillir une nouvelle porte d'entrée8.

Devenu prison de droit commun au XIXe siècle, le château est racheté au début du XXe siècle par la ville de Dinan qui y installe son musée municipal en 1908. Consacrées à l'histoire et à l'artisanat de Dinan et de son territoire, les collections du Musée de Dinan comprennent de nombreux objets ethnographiques collectés dans les communes des bords de Rance. Retirées progressivement du château en 2015, les collections sont désormais conservées dans les réserves municipales.

En 2014, la Ville de Dinan a souhaité porter un ambitieux programme de restauration et de mise en valeur du monument rendu possible grâce à d'importantes recherches historiques qui ont permis un autre regard sur le château. Inauguré le 9 juin 2019, ce projet comprend d'importants travaux sur le monument - à commencer par l'ouverture au public du "souterrain Mercoeur" et de la restitution de l'emprise de la cour d'honneur - mais également la mise en place d'une nouvelle scénographie dont les deux thématiques "l'art de la guerre au XVe siècle" et "la vie quotidienne dans les résidences princières" sont au service de la compréhension du château et de son architecture. "

Sources : La Château

The "Official Tourism" URL link to the attraction: [Web Link]

The attraction’s own URL: [Web Link]

Hours of Operation:
Winter (February, March, April, October, November, December): open Tuesday to Sunday from 1.30 p.m. to 6.30 p.m. Summer (May, June, July, August, September): open daily from 10.30 a.m. to 7 p.m. -------------------------------------------------- Hiver (février, mars, avril, octobre, novembre, décembre) : ouvert du mardi au dimanche de 13h30 à 18h30. Été (mai, juin, juillet, août, septembre) : ouvert tous les jours de 10h30 à 19h00.


Admission Prices:
Full adult price: € 6.50 - Free for children under 8 / Adulte Plein tarif : 6,50 € - Gratuit moins de 8 ans.


Approximate amount of time needed to fully experience the attraction: Up to 1 hour

Transportation options to the attraction: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

As a suggestion for your visit log, please make every effort to supply a brief-to-detailed note about your experience at the Waymark. If possible also include an image that was taken when you visited the Waymark. Images can be of yourself, a personal Waymarking signature item or just one of general interest that would be of value to others. Sharing your experience helps promote Waymarking and provides a dynamic history of your adventures.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Official Local Tourism Attractions
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Le Château de Dinan - Dinan, France 12/27/2019 pmaupin visited it