Ella Hunter Building - Ardmore, OK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 34° 10.494 W 097° 07.526
14S E 672767 N 3783136
Quick Description: Located at 202 Caddo St NE, Ardmore, OK, the Ella Hunter Building was constructed in 1939 and owned by a local widow who was in business to take care of her family. Today, it is home to the Caddo Street BBQ Company.
Location: Oklahoma, United States
Date Posted: 12/18/2019 12:54:39 PM
Waymark Code: WM11TRB
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Outspoken1
Views: 1

Long Description:

The Person

While Butch Bridges's newsletters (see Related Web address) are a great source of information, he gets the year of construction wrong, indicating 1933 instead of 1939. He does provide a few details about Mrs. Hunter, though. Ella Hunter was a widow from Indiana -- a note from the 1910 census on her Findagrave page lists her as the head of the household by then -- with three children, and she had a knack for acquiring property with spare cash, reaching as far as Houston. She was an early day businesswoman in Ardmore, owning a boarding house and a small cigar stand in the corner of the Whittington Hotel at Caddo and Main (SW corner). There may be a glimpse of her in Charlsie Foust Allen's "Ardmore" in Arcadia's Images of America series, as a photo shows the lobby of the Whittington Hotel, noting a female clerk seated at the cigar counter.

The Place

This building is a contributing building to the Ardmore Historic Commercial District on the National Register of Historic Places. While the National Register's Registration Form lists this and other properties at A St NE, today, the street is noted as "Caddo St NE" on signs. The Registration Form dates the building to "c. 1939", so noted on the west elevation, and provides some background:

This one-story, stone, flat-roofed building has two small storefronts separated by double windows which have been boarded. The storefronts are centrally located and both contain a single door with wood filling the remainder of the area. The southern storefront has a painted, wood, glazed, paneled door sheltered by a metal awning. The northern storefront has a painted, wood, slab door. There are single windows on the outside of the storefronts. All of the windows have been covered. Centrally located along the curved parapet, in white stone, is a name plate which reads "Ella Hunter" with "1939" in white stone above this. The windows and door on the south elevation have been covered with wood paneling. This is a unique building within the Ardmore Historic Commercial District. There is one metal siding-covered outbuilding associated with this property.

---

The boards have since been removed from the windows, and they're open for business, doing quite well.

Year it was dedicated: 1939

Location of Coordinates: South entrance

Related Web address (if available): [Web Link]

Type of place/structure you are waymarking: Building

Visit Instructions:
  • Please post a comment and photo.
  • A "visited" only remark will be deleted.
  • A "visited" remark by the 'Waymark Owner' at the time of posting is not appreciated and won't be accepted. If visiting at another time a "Visit" would be acceptable.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest People-Named Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.