La Rue des Cordiers - Saint-Malo, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 48° 38.900 W 002° 01.450
30U E 571875 N 5388823
Quick Description: [FR] Cette rue doit son nom à la présence de cordiers qui avaient autrefois leur activité en ce lieu voisin du port. [EN] This street owes its name to the presence of rope makers who formerly had their activity in this place next to the port.
Location: Bretagne, France
Date Posted: 12/17/2019 7:00:55 AM
Waymark Code: WM11TJA
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 3

Long Description:

" Cette rue doit son nom à la présence de cordiers qui avaient autrefois leur activité en ce lieu voisin du port. En 1701, il y en avait encore une dizaine dans cette rue qui était également appelée rue des porches.

Avant la construction de la courtine de Chartres lors du troisième accroissement de la ville (1721-1723), cette rue était bordée par le mur d’enceinte primitif de cette dernière.

La rue des Cordiers a conservé quelques constructions anciennes au n°2 qui est aujourd’hui la plus ancienne maison datée de la ville (1600), et aux n°4, 6 (17e s.) et 8 (1781).

Au n° 10, s’élève la halle au blé commencée en 1822 et agrandie du côté sud en 1892, par l’architecte de la ville Auguste Bénard.

Les frontons vitrés s’ornent des armes de la ville. Sur le côté sud de la halle se trouvait autrefois l’hôtel de l’abbaye Saint-Jean.

L’abbaye Saint-Jean était une confrérie charitable de laïcs qui pratiquaient l’entraide. Sa fondation remontait au 13e siècle. Elle servit aussi d’hôtel de ville jusqu’en 1754, de consulat, de salle de cours de navigation et d’entrepôt pour les toiles.

Elle fut remplacée en 1785 par la Marmite des pauvres. "

Sources : La Panneau Historique

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

"This street owes its name to the presence of rope makers who formerly had their activity in this place near the port. In 1701, there were still a dozen in this street which was also called rue des porches.

Before the construction of the curtain of Chartres during the third growth of the city (1721-1723), this street was bordered by the original surrounding wall of the latter.

Rue des Cordiers has preserved some old buildings at no. 2 which is today the oldest dated house in the city (1600), and at nos. 4, 6 (17C) and 8 (1781).

At n ° 10, stands the corn hall started in 1822 and enlarged on the south side in 1892, by the city architect Auguste Bénard.

The glass pediments are decorated with the town's coat of arms. On the south side of the hall was once the hotel of Saint Jean Abbey.

Saint-Jean Abbey was a charitable brotherhood of laymen who practiced mutual aid. Its foundation dates back to the 13th century. It also served as a city hall until 1754, as a consulate, a navigation classroom and a storehouse for canvases.

It was replaced in 1785 by the Pot of the Poor. "

Sources : The historical panel

Qui a placé ce repère historique ? / Who placed this historical marker ?:
La Mairie de Saint-Malo / Saint-Malo Town Hall.


Site internet / Internet Website: [Web Link]

Date de placement / Date of establishment: Not listed

Eléments cryptés / Encrypted elements: Not listed

Conditions de visite alternatives / Alternative visit requirements: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
[FR] Une preuve de votre visite est demandée. Joignez à votre log une photo du repère historique et culturel ou répondez à la question alternative proposée par l'owner quand elle existe (si vous ne pouvez joindre de photo).
[ENG] A proof of your visit is needed. Join a picture from the historical and cultural marker to your log or respond to the alternative question proposed by owner if available (if you can't provide a picture).
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Histoires de France (French historical markers)
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited La Rue des Cordiers - Saint-Malo, France 12/13/2019 pmaupin visited it

View all visits/logs