Eglise Saint Sulpice - Tillou, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 46° 09.094 W 000° 07.212
30T E 722376 N 5114920
Quick Description: A small Romanesque country church. Une petite eglise Romane de campagne.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 12/17/2019 12:23:54 AM
Waymark Code: WM11TGX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 4

Long Description:
source Parvis Poitiers:
In 1121, Guillaume Gilbert, bishop of Poitiers, gave the church of Tillou to the priory of Notre-Dame de Celles, itself dependent on the abbey of Lesterps in Limousin. It was sold as national property during the Revolution. In 1818 the mayor said that 200 francs would be enough to restore it. What remains of this long history? The nave Behind the high bell tower-wall of a classic facade (pediment of the door, shoulders of the pediment), it keeps outside, south side, a Romanesque portal today blocked but whose arch, well preserved, is decorated with patterns in the shape of hearts and points of diamonds.The overhanging tiled roof has no visible gutter, the flow of water being camouflaged in the thickness of the wall. Gothic-style windows were later drilled. Inside, there is a baptistery housed under an arch in the thickness of the reverse of the facade; on the ground, two flat tombs, including one from 1759, and on the wall a large canvas, very degraded by humidity: Jesus healing the sick, signed Beaufils, 1941. The choir It results from an enlargement by two Gothic spans well preserved, with their vaults and their aisle chapels. Imposing buttresses have been placed outside to support the bedside wall, where we can guess the perimeter of an old large glass roof. On the south side, a chapel which seems a little later (16th century?) Is used as a sacristy. Its vault is collapsed, but you can admire its door outside, and the trimming of its windows, one of which is blocked.

The altarpiece
It comes from the Puyberland convent and today forms a back wall in front of the curved altar. In painted stone, it corresponds to the Baroque taste, with its six twisted columns with Corinthian capitals, but with a certain popular verve in the details: vine on the twists, grapes and vine branches, intermingled with birds, dog, deer, butterflies, li - masons, and of course the winged and singing cherubs, as the inscriptions above the doors say: the praise of the Lord always in my mouth, and I will sing to the Lord a song of love! But also an evocation of suffering with the crown of thorns and the three nails of the Passion, also present with the statuettes of the cornice. We may wish a restoration of this major work.

source Parvis Poitiers :
En 1121, Guillaume Gilbert, évêque de Poitiers, donna l’église de Tillou au prieuré de Notre-Dame de Celles, lui-même dépendant de l’abbaye de Lesterps en Limousin. Elle est vendue comme Bien national à la Révolution. En 1818 le maire dit qu’il suffirait de 200 francs pour la remettre en état. De cette longue histoire, que reste-t-il ? La nef Derrière le haut clocher-mur d’une façade classique(fronton de la porte, épaulements du fronton), elle garde à l’extérieur, côté sud, un portail roman aujourd’hui bouché mais dont l’arcade, bien conservée, est décorée de motifs en forme de cœurs et de pointes de diamants.Le toit de tuiles débordant n’a pas de gouttière apparente, l’écoulement de l’eau étant camouflé dans l’épaisseur du mur. Des fenêtres d’allure gothique ont été percées plus tardive-ment. A l’intérieur, on remarque un baptistère logé sous arcade dans l’épaisseur du revers de la façade ; au sol, deux plates tombes, dont l’une de 1759, et au mur une grande toile, très dégradée par l’humidité : Jésus guérissant les malades, signée Beaufils, 1941. Le chœur Il résulte d’un agrandissement par deux travées gothiques bien conservées, avec leurs voûtes et leurs chapelles de bas-côté. D’imposants contreforts ont été mis à l’extérieur pour soutenir le mur de chevet, où l’on devine le pourtour d’une ancienne grande verrière. Du côté sud, une chapelle qui semble un peu plus tardive (XVIe siècle ?) est utilisée comme sacristie. Sa voûte est écroulée, mais on peut admirer sa porte à l’extérieur, et le remplage de ses fenêtres dont l’une est bouchée.

Le retable
Il provient du couvent de Puyberland et forme aujourd’hui un mur de fond devant l’autel galbé. En pierre peinte, il correspond au goût baroque, avec ses six colonnes torses aux chapiteaux corinthiens, mais avec une certaine verve populaire dans les détails : vigne sur les torsades, raisins et pampres, entremêlés d’oiseaux, chien, cerf, papillons, li-maçons, et bien sûr les chérubins ailés et chantants, comme le disent les inscriptions au-dessus des portes : la louange du Seigneur toujours en ma bouche, et je chanterai au Seigneur un chant d’amour ! Mais aussi une évocation de la souffrance avec la couronne d’épines et les trois clous de la Passion, présente également avec les statuettes de la corniche. On peut souhaiter une restauration de cette œuvre majeure.

ParvisPoitiers : (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
sara et gege visited Eglise Saint Sulpice - Tillou, France 5/28/2020 sara et gege visited it