Le beffroi dit Tour de l'Horloge - Dinan, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 48° 27.191 W 002° 02.606
30U E 570728 N 5367113
Quick Description: [EN] The belfry said Clock Tower of Dinan, is a tower built at the end of the 15th century, located rue de l'Horloge in Dinan [FR] Le beffroi dit Tour de l'Horloge de Dinan, est une tour construite à la fin du XVe siècle, située rue de l'Horloge à Dinan.
Location: Bretagne, France
Date Posted: 12/16/2019 1:31:12 AM
Waymark Code: WM11TCY
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Where's George
Views: 1

Long Description:

"Around the year 1460, the citizens of Rennes resolved to build a belfry, and in an order of February 17, 1468, Francis II, Duke of Brittany, said he wanted" the work of this clock fust makes in such a way that there is noise and renown, and for this purpose the closche in fust of the greatest weight and grandeur that can be made. "

This belfry was erected on one of the towers of the first enclosure of the city, the St. James tower, about 60 feet high, situated on the site of the current house at the corner of Lafayette and Chateaurenault streets. near the Saint James Chapel.

It consisted of an octagonal stone dungeon 40 feet high at the bottom of which reigned a slate covered gallery resting on the corbelets of the tower. Above this dungeon was a frame at least 30 feet high, covered with lead on the outside; outside this frame a second gallery reigned on the wall of the dungeon. Three dials were seen to the east, south and west, and a niche to the north was home to a statue of St. Michael, lead gilded, slaying a dragon.

Above this frame there was a lantern surmounted by an arrow covered with slates and terminated by a wind vane. The whole was monumental and reached nearly 150 feet (50 meters today).

This tower was reached by an external stone staircase, covered in slate and adjoining the chapel of Saint James. This staircase led to a room on the first floor.

In Brittany, where the communal spirit was very little developed, few cities possessed a belfry and a clock. There were only two of them, that of Fougères which still survives and houses the bell melted in 1387, and that of the clock tower of Dinan built from the 14th to the 15th century; his bell has unfortunately been remounted recently, it dated back to the time of the Duchess Anne. "

Sources : The Belfry

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

"Vers l’an 1460, les bourgeois de Rennes résolurent d’édifier un beffroi, et dans un mandement du 17 février 1468, François II, duc de Bretagne, disait qu’il voulait que « l’ouvrage de cet horloge fust faist de telle façon qu’il en fust bruit et renom et pour cet effet que la closche en fust du plus grand poids et grandeur que faire se pouroit ».

Ce beffroi fut élevé sur l’une des tours de la première enceinte de la ville, la tour Saint-James, haute d’environ 60 pieds, située à l’emplacement de la maison actuelle faisant l’angle des rues Lafayette et Châteaurenault, près de la chapelle Saint-James.

Il se composait d’un donjon octogonal en pierre de 40 pieds de haut au bas duquel régnait une galerie couverte en ardoises reposant sur les corbelets de la tour. Au-dessus de ce donjon était élevée une charpente d’au moins 30 pieds de haut, revêtue de plomb à l’extérieur ; au dehors de cette charpente une seconde galerie régnait sur le mur du donjon. Trois cadrans se voyaient à l’est, au sud et à l’ouest, et une niche au nord abritait une statue de saint Michel, en plomb doré, terrassant un dragon.

Au-dessus de cette charpente existait une lanterne surmontée d’une flèche recouverte en ardoises et terminée par une girouette. L’ensemble était monumental et atteignait près de 150 pieds (50 mètres de nos jours).

On accédait à cette tour par un escalier extérieur en pierres, couvert en ardoises et accolé à la chapelle Saint-James. Cet escalier conduisait à une chambre située au premier étage.

En Bretagne, où l’esprit communal était très peu développé, peu de villes possédaient un beffroi et une horloge. On n’en comptait que deux, celui de Fougères qui subsiste encore et abrite la cloche fondue en 1387, et celui de la tour de l’horloge de Dinan construit du XIVème au XVème siècle ; sa cloche a malheureusement été refondue récemment, elle datait du temps de la duchesse Anne."

Sources : Le Beffroi

The "Official Tourism" URL link to the attraction: [Web Link]

The attraction’s own URL: [Web Link]

Hours of Operation:
Every day from February 9 to May 31 from 2 p.m. to 6.30 p.m. and from June 1 to September 30 from 10 a.m. to 6.30 p.m./ Tous les jours du 9 février au 31 mai de 14h00 à 18h30 et du 1er juin au 30 septembre de 10h00 à 18h30.


Admission Prices:
Full Price: € 4.00 - Reduced Price € 2.50 - Free for children under 8 - Family Pass (2 adults + 2 children and more): € 11.00. / Plein Tarif : 4,00€ - Tarif Réduit 2,50€ - Gratuit moins de 8 ans – Pass Famille (2 adultes + 2 enfants et plus) : 11,00€.


Approximate amount of time needed to fully experience the attraction: Less than 15 minutes

Transportation options to the attraction: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

As a suggestion for your visit log, please make every effort to supply a brief-to-detailed note about your experience at the Waymark. If possible also include an image that was taken when you visited the Waymark. Images can be of yourself, a personal Waymarking signature item or just one of general interest that would be of value to others. Sharing your experience helps promote Waymarking and provides a dynamic history of your adventures.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Official Local Tourism Attractions
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Le beffroi dit Tour de l'Horloge - Dinan, France 12/13/2019 pmaupin visited it