Eglise Notre Dame - Celle sur Belle, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 46° 15.712 W 000° 12.608
30T E 715001 N 5126927
Quick Description: the church of the Abbey of Celles sur Belle. l'eglise de l'abbaye de Celles sur Belle.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 12/16/2019 12:04:41 AM
Waymark Code: WM11TCJ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 6

Long Description:
source Parvis Poitiers:
The origin of Celles, its very name suggests, is a small monastic cell, a priory, dependent on the abbey of Lesterps, in Limousin, of the order of Saint-Augustin. In 1095 "Celles began to flourish in miracles ”, hence pilgrimages and donations from the bishops of Poitiers: Asnières, Luché, Paizay-le-Chapt and Pouffonds by Pierre II in 1100, Tillou, Ligné and Périgné by Guillaume 1er Gilbert in 1121. So much so that around 1137 the priory is erected as an abbey, independent of Lesterps, but still of the order of Saint-Augustin. The canons of Saint Augustine are an order which appeared in the 11th century, which combines a regular life like that of the monks, and a pastoral activity, according to the advice of Saint Augustine for community life.
Louis XI showed great devotion to Notre-Dame de Celles and often came there during his reign (1461-1483), granting him protection and privileges and even having the great church built between 1470 and 1477 as recalled by a large inscription of the choir . She has kept her plan until this day. In 1547, 25 regular canons provided divine service.
But in 1568, after Saint-Maixent, Those was destroyed during the Wars of Religion. Roof and vaults are demolished, only the side walls, the bell tower and pillar stumps remain. The abbey buildings are just a huge ruin.
In 1650, Father Abbot Louis de La Rochefoucauld signed an agreement with that of Sainte-Geneviève-du-Mont in Pa-ris, according to which nine religious, Génovéfains, a congregation reformed always for the order of Saint-Augustin, took over the 'the whole of the abbey and its goods, it is up to them to restore them. The work is well under way: roofs in 1666, with "200 thousand slates", and repair of the church completed in 1669 by François Le Duc dit Toscane. In 1681, 230 abjurations were received there, under pressure from the dragons. In 1682 the same architect designed the abbey building, in the best Louis XIV style, very different from that of the church. The part on the right of the entry was not built, because still occupied by old residences ... but which burned in a serious fire in 1805. Here is the whole of the buildings which the tourist sees today, almost unchanged.
In 1899 the pilgrimage was relaunched, still celebrated at the Septembrêche (2nd Sunday in September). Pastoral life has been ensured by the Montfort Fathers since 1921, even today.

The bell tower late 15th, early 16th century
He was the main survivor of the old church after the destruction of 1568. Indeed, his very power protected him. From all the roads arriving at Celles we see its tall silhouette (47 meters): square tower with a sober pyramid roof, supported by four corner buttresses, that of the southeast including the spiral staircase.
It was built by Mathurin II Joubert de la Bastide, abbot from 1494 to 1514, after all of the nave. This is evidenced by his weapons "of silver with five rockets placed side by side and hung in a fess gules" above the portal, and better readable at the door of the stairs. They also mark the keystones of the equally preserved south wing, which was once a chapter hall, and today a week chapel. These weapons inspired those of the commune.

The fairly sober portal associates flamboyant Gothic with the return to the full arch without capitals, already announcing the art of the Renaissance. The door itself, later, presents on its wooden tympanum the Lamb on the book with the seven seals, surrounded by vine branches linked to ears of wheat, a clear evocation of the Eucharistic sacrifice.
The single floor, without exterior or interior decor, is very high. Its high hall Saint-Michel served as a platform before its bay opening onto the nave was condemned.
At the top, the belfry has three bells: "Michelle" and "Marie-Alexandre" given in 1677, recast in 1730 by Jean-Baptiste Rigueur (MH 1943) and that of 1891, replacing that of 1830 already broken.
But let's go in.
A surprise awaits us under the Gothic vault.

The Romanesque multi-lobed portal
It is undoubtedly the best known element of the church, the only witness to the first Romanesque building. Do not hesitate to put the light: timer provided on the left wall.
The scrupulous restoration of Segrétain in 1885 (capitals and their tailors, heads of the southern part) did not alter the overall structure. On a large support of six small columns, the slightly broken arched bay has four large multi-lobed arches. Each of the nine lobes has its redent ending in a clover and a human or animal head.
This type of portal is found in Poitou, on a smaller scale in Saint-Médard de Thouars and in Saint-Paixent de Millac, near Limousin
source Parvis Poitiers :
L’origine de Celles, son nom même l’indique, est une petite cellule monastique, un prieuré, dépendant de l’abbaye de Lesterps, en Limousin, de l’ordre de Saint-Augustin.En 1095 « Celles commença à fleurir en miracles », d’où des pèlerinages et des donations des évêques de Poitiers : Asnières, Luché, Paizay-le-Chapt et Pouffonds par Pierre II en 1100, Tillou, Ligné et Périgné par Guillaume 1er Gilbert en 1121. Si bien que vers 1137 le prieuré est érigé en ab-baye, indépendante de Lesterps, mais toujours de l’ordre de Saint-Augustin. Les chanoines de Saint-Augustin sont un ordre apparu au XIe siècle, qui allie une vie régulière à l’image de celle des moines, et une activité pastorale, selon les conseils de saint Augustin pour la vie communautaire.
Louis XI manifesta une grande dévotion à Notre-Dame de Celles et y vint souvent lors de son règne (1461-1483), lui accordant protection et privilèges et faisant même bâtir la grande église entre 1470 et 1477 comme le rappelle une grande inscription du chœur. Elle a gardé son plan jusqu’à ce jour. En 1547 ce sont 25 chanoines réguliers qui y assurent le service divin.
Mais en 1568, après Saint-Maixent, Celles est détruite au cours des guerres de Religion. Toiture et voûtes sont abattues, ne restent que les murs latéraux, le clocher et des moignons de piliers. Les bâtiments abbatiaux ne sont qu’une immense ruine.
En 1650, le Père abbé Louis de La Rochefoucauld signe un accord avec celui de Sainte-Geneviève-du- Mont à Pa-ris, selon lequel neuf religieux, des Génovéfains, congrégation réformée toujours pour l’ordre de Saint-Augustin, reprennent l’ensemble de l’abbaye et de ses biens, à charge pour eux de les remettre en état. Les travaux sont menés bon train : toitures en 1666, avec « 200 milliers d’ardoises », et réfection de l’église terminée en 1669 par François Le Duc dit Toscane. En 1681, 230 abjurations y seront reçues, sous la pression des dragonna-des. En 1682 le même architecte signe le bâtiment de l’abbaye, dans le meilleur style Louis XIV, bien différent de celui de l’église. La partie à droite de l’entrée ne fut pas construite, car encore occupée par d’anciens logements... mais qui brûlèrent dans un grave incendie en 1805. Voilà l’ensemble des bâtiments que voit le touriste d’aujourd’hui, quasiment sans changement.
En 1899 est relancé le pèlerinage, toujours fêté à la Septembrêche (2e dimanche de septembre). La vie pastorale est assurée par les Pères Montfortains depuis 1921, encore aujourd’hui.

Le clocher fin XVe, début XVIe siècle
Il est le principal rescapé de l’ancienne église après les destructions de 1568. A vrai dire sa puissance même le protégeait. De toutes les routes arrivant à Celles on voit sa haute silhouette (47 mètres) : tour carrée au sobre toit pyramidal, épaulée de quatre contreforts d’angle, celui du sud-est incluant l’escalier en vis.
Il fut bâti par Mathurin II Joubert de la Bastide, abbé de 1494 à 1514, après donc l’ensemble de la nef. En font foi ses armes « d’argent à cinq fusées accolées et rangées en fasce de gueules » au-dessus du portail, et mieux lisibles à la porte de l’escalier. Elles marquent aussi les clefs de voûte de l’aile sud également préservée, qui fut un temps salle du chapitre, et aujourd’hui chapelle de semaine. Ces armes inspirèrent celles de la commune.

Le portail, assez sobre, associe le gothique flamboyant au retour au plein cintre sans chapiteaux, annonçant déjà l’art de la Renaissance. La porte elle-même, plus tardive, présente sur son tympan de bois l’Agneau sur le livre aux sept sceaux, entouré de pampres liés à des épis de blé, évocation claire du sacrifice eucharistique.
L’étage unique, sans décor extérieur ou intérieur, est très élevé. Sa haute salle Saint-Michel servit de tribune avant que soit condamnée sa baie ouvrant sur la nef.
Au sommet, le beffroi porte trois cloches : « Michelle » et « Marie-Alexandre » données en 1677, refondues en 1730 par Jean-Baptiste Rigueur (MH 1943) et celle de 1891, remplaçant celle de 1830 déjà cassée.
Mais entrons.
Sous la voûte gothique une surprise nous attend.

Le portail roman polylobé
C’est sans doute l’élément le plus connu de l’église, seul témoin du premier édifice roman. N’hésitons pas à mettre la lumière : minuterie prévue au mur gauche.
La restauration scrupuleuse de Segrétain en 1885 (chapiteaux et leurs tailloirs, têtes de la partie sud) n’a pas altéré la structure d’ensemble. Sur un important support de six colonnettes, la baie en arc légère-ment brisé présente quatre larges voussures polylobées. Chacun des neuf lobes a son redent terminé par un trèfle et une tête humaine ou animale.
Ce type de portail se retrouve en Poitou, à plus petite échelle à Saint-Médard de Thouars et à Saint-Paixent de Millac, proche du Limousin où cette formule est plus fréquente. Souvenons-nous des origines limousines du prieuré de Celles avec l’abbaye de Lesterps. D’autres influences du Limousin roman existent en Mellois. Ou faut-il faire appel à une in-fluence directe de l’art hispano-mauresque ?
Toujours est-il que cet accueil somptueux introduit fort bien à une nef d’un tout autre style, surplombée par une dénivellation de quinze marches. Le regard va droit au niveau du chœur.
La nef portera bien son nom de vaisseau pour nous y acheminer

Parvis Poitiers : (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
lulu_et_compagnie visited Eglise Notre Dame - Celle sur Belle, France 10/24/2020 lulu_et_compagnie visited it
sara et gege visited Eglise Notre Dame - Celle sur Belle, France 5/1/2020 sara et gege visited it

View all visits/logs