Basilique Saint-Sauveur - Dinan, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 48° 27.214 W 002° 02.517
30U E 570837 N 5367157
Quick Description: [EN] The building as we can see it today is built on a Latin cross plan, with a nave with a single aisle to the north, a protruding transept and a chevet with five radiating chapels. [FR] L'édifice tel qu'on peut le voir aujourd'hui est construit sur un plan en croix latine, avec une nef dotée d'un seul bas-côté au nord, un transept saillant et un chevet à cinq chapelles rayonnantes.
Location: Bretagne, France
Date Posted: 12/11/2019 11:09:28 AM
Waymark Code: WM11RNM
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 2

Long Description:

"Priory church in the 12th century dependent on the Benedictine abbey of Saint-Jacut. In the 12th century, when the Saint-Sauveur church was built, Dinan already had several religious buildings. Around 1066 indeed, Olivier Ier de Dinan founded the priory Saint-Malo in the North of the city, then in the years 1070-1080, Geoffroy, son of Olivier Ier, founded the priory of Sainte-Marie-Magdeleine-du-Pont on the other side of the Rance.

The church is attested for the first time in a charter dated 1123. This states the partition of the town of Dinan between the two sons of Geoffroy, who died. Saint-Sauveur is then mentioned as possession of the Benedictine abbey of Saint-Jacut.

The existence of the building is confirmed in a charter of 1131. The construction of the church is today almost unanimously attributed to the second half of the 12th century for its oldest parts.

In the 15th century the building underwent important modifications. Under the direction of architect Guy Pinçon, work began in 1480 to enlarge the building. The north wall of the nave is rebuilt and a shoulder is added. The gable of the western facade is also transformed, in particular by the piercing of a flamboyant bay.

At the beginning of the 16th century, construction began on the choir. In 1547 the bell tower under construction at the crossing of the transept collapsed; the four pillars were rebuilt in 1557-1558. In the 16th century, during the wars of religion, work stopped to resume in the 17th century.

After the Revolution, the church was used as a hay loft: it was in a state of disrepair and required rapid restoration. It was returned to worship, at the request of the parishioners in 1801. Very quickly, with the emerging craze for romanticism and art of the Middle Ages, Dinan and the Saint-Sauveur church aroused the interest of archaeologists and scholars . Thus, Mérimée visits it in 1835 then the knight of Fréminville, Arcisse de Caumont and Alfred Ramé. Under the direction of the architect Ruprich-Robert, work began in the second half of the 19th century with the western facade.

In 1860, thirteen balusters of the arcades of the lower level of this facade were replaced by new ones. Some bases and the apparatus of the pillars behind the columns were modified. We place at the central door of the pedestals receiving a lintel surmounted by patterns of small waves. Five of the capitals on the west facade were modified in the year 1861; those of the Annunciation and of Paradise, previously located on each side of the central door, are deposited. A dozen cutters are redone as well as some column bases.

Outside the southern wall, ten columns are replaced with their bases; capitals and tailors on the lower level are also refurbished. Following the removal of the Gothic chapel built against the first western bay, a double arch was built, resting on a central console and two small columns with capitals. We also remove the staircase leading to the pulpit, located at the level of the fifth span.

The Saint-Sauveur church was listed as a Historic Monument in 1862. In 1864, the new tympanum was placed above the central door. In 1954 the church became a basilica. "

Sources : The Church .

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" Eglise prieurale au 12e siècle dépendant de l´abbaye bénédictine de Saint-Jacut. Au 12e siècle, époque de la construction de l´église Saint-Sauveur, Dinan possédait déjà plusieurs édifices religieux. Vers 1066 en effet, Olivier Ier de Dinan fondait le prieuré Saint-Malo au Nord de la ville, puis dans les années 1070-1080, Geoffroy, fils d´Olivier Ier, fondait le prieuré de Sainte-Marie-Magdeleine-du-Pont de l´autre côté de la Rance.

L´église est attestée pour la première fois dans une charte datée de 1123. Celle-ci fait état du partage de la ville de Dinan entre les deux fils de Geoffroy, décédé. Saint-Sauveur est alors mentionnée comme possession de l´abbaye bénédictine de Saint-Jacut.

L´existence de l´édifice est confirmée dans une charte de 1131. La construction de l´église est aujourd´hui quasi-unanimement attribuée à la seconde moitié du 12e siècle pour ses parties les plus anciennes.

Au 15e siècle l´édifice subit d´importantes modifications. Sous la direction de l´architecte Guy Pinçon les travaux débutent en 1480 pour agrandir l´édifice. Le mur nord de la nef est réédifié et on ajoute un bas-côté. Le pignon de la façade occidentale est également transformé, notamment par le percement d´une baie de style flamboyant.

Au début du 16e siècle on entreprend la construction du choeur. En 1547 le clocher en construction au niveau de la croisée du transept, s´effondre ; les quatre piliers sont reconstruits en 1557-1558. Au 16e siècle, pendant les guerres de religion, les travaux s´interrompent pour reprendre au 17e siècle.

Après la Révolution l´église sert de grenier à foin : elle était dans un état de délabrement important et nécessitait de rapides restaurations. Elle est rendue au culte, à la demande des paroissiens en 1801. Très vite, avec l´engouement naissant pour le romantisme et l´art du Moyen-Age, Dinan et l´église Saint-Sauveur suscitent l´intérêt des archéologues et érudits. Ainsi, Mérimée la visite en 1835 puis le chevalier de Fréminville, Arcisse de Caumont et Alfred Ramé. Sous la direction de l´architecte Ruprich-Robert les travaux débutent dans la seconde moitié du 19e siècle par la façade occidentale.

En 1860, treize colonnettes des arcades du niveau inférieur de cette façade sont remplacées par de nouvelles. On modifie certaines bases ainsi que l´appareil des piliers en arrière des colonnes. On pose au niveau de la porte centrale des piédroits recevant un linteau surmonté de motifs de petites vagues. Cinq des chapiteaux de la façade Ouest sont modifiés au cours de l´année 1861 ; ceux de l´Annonciation et du Paradis terrestre, situés auparavant de chaque côté de la porte centrale, sont déposés. Une dizaine de tailloirs sont refaits ainsi que certaines embases de colonnes.

A l´extérieur du mur méridional, dix colonnes sont remplacées avec leurs embases ; des chapiteaux et tailloirs du niveau inférieur sont également refaits à neuf. Suite à la suppression de la chapelle gothique édifiée contre la première travée occidentale, on reconstruit une double arcade reposant sur une console centrale et deux colonnettes à chapiteaux. On supprime également l´escalier menant à la chaire, situé au niveau de la cinquième travée.

L´église Saint-Sauveur est classée parmi les Monuments Historiques en 1862. En 1864 on pose le nouveau tympan au-dessus de la porte centrale. En 1954 l'église devient basilique. "

Sources : L’Eglise

Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Basilique Saint-Sauveur - Dinan, France 12/11/2019 pmaupin visited it