Chapelle Sainte Marguerite - Beaumont-du-Ventoux - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member GroVicking
N 44° 10.908 E 005° 11.451
31T E 675113 N 4894399
Quick Description: Petite chapelle du XIIféme siècle / Small chapel of the 12th century
Location: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Date Posted: 12/9/2019 5:45:29 AM
Waymark Code: WM11RAA
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 9

Long Description:
FRANCAIS
Sainte Marguerite est une chapelle simple, rectangulaire, mesurant 15 mètres sur 6. Sa forme indique une construction au milieu du XIIéme siècle, en plein âge roman, mais il est difficile de la dater tant les remaniements ont été nombreux. Aucun texte ancien ne la mentionne, son histoire garde donc encore tous ses secrets.
Le chevet est constitué d'une abside semi-circulaire unique bâtie en moellons. Il est percé d'une fenêtre absidiale encadrée de pierre de taille et est recouvert de tuiles.
La nef unique, recouverte de tuiles et surmontée d'un clocheton en pierre de taille disposé parallèlement à la façade méridionale, est bâtie principalement en moellons, la pierre de taille se cantonnant à l'encadrement de la porte, à l'encadrement des baies situées en hauteur et aux chaînages d'angle, réalisés en grand appareil.
La porte est encadrée de pierre de taille en grand appareil. Dans le piédroit de la porte est encastrée une pierre de remploi, dont on ignore la provenance, gravée d'un arbre de vie carolingien assimilé à la croix du Christ, source d'immortalité et d'abondance.
À l'intérieur, on trouve en remploi une stèle anépigraphique (qui n'a pas d'inscription) servant de support à un bénitier ainsi qu'un autel paléo-chrétien.
Devant la porte sont disposés trois fragments d'un énorme linteau de monument funéraire d'origine romaine gravé d'une inscription en latin. Ces blocs ont été découverts en 1858 dans le quartier Saint Roch (où passait la voie romaine entre Vaison et Maupas) et dateraient du Ier siècle de notre ère. Selon les inscriptions, ce monument fut érigé pour un chevalier romain de haut rang, ayant eu des responsabilités militaire en Mésie (actuelle Roumanie). Ce fronton a été réinstallé sur le parvis de la chapelle.

Cet édifice a été restauré dans les années 1970 et 1980 permettant de découvrir un autel paléochrétien, ainsi qu'un linteau en forme de coquilles provenant d'une église antérieure au XIIéme siècle et ayant été réemployé pour la construction de la chapelle.
En 1951, l’abbé Roy, auteur des vitraux de la chapelle œcuménique du mont Serein, a peint une vierge à l'enfant pour la voûte en cul-de-four du choeur.

Ste Marguerite, martyre du IIIéme siècle ayant vaincu un dragon, est invoquée en cas de tempêtes et inondations. D'ailleurs, les familles du hameau sonnent toujours les cloches en cas de grêle.

Sources : panneau explicatif + Wikipédia

ENGLISH
Sainte Marguerite is a simple, rectangular chapel, measuring 15 meters by 6. Its shape indicates a construction in the middle of the 12th century, in full Romanesque age, but it is difficult to date it so much the reorganizations were numerous. No old text mentions it, so its history still keeps all its secrets.
The bedside consists of a single semicircular apse built of rubble. It is pierced by an absidial window framed by cut stone and is covered with tiles.
The single nave, covered with tiles and surmounted by a stone steeple arranged parallel to the southern facade, is built mainly of rubble stone, the stone being confined to the door frame, the frame of the bays located in height and corner chains, made in large unit.
The door is framed with cut stone in large unit. In the doorway of the door is embedded a stone of refilling, whose provenance is unknown, engraved with a Carolingian tree of life likened to the cross of Christ, a source of immortality and abundance.
Inside, there is an anepigraphic stele (which has no inscription) used to support a holy water font and a paleo-Christian altar.
In front of the door are three fragments of an enormous lintel of funerary monument of Roman origin engraved with an inscription in Latin. These blocks were discovered in 1858 in the district Saint Roch (where passed the Roman road between Vaison and Maupas) and would date from the first century of our era. According to the inscriptions, this monument was erected for a Roman knight of high rank, having had military responsibilities in Moesia (present-day Romania). This pediment was reinstalled on the forecourt of the chapel.

This building was restored in the 1970s and 1980s to reveal a paleochristian altar, and a lintel shaped shells from a church before the twelfth century and was reused for the construction of the chapel.
In 1951, Father Roy, author of the stained glass windows of the Ecumenical Chapel of Mont Serein, painted a virgin and child for the vault of the choir.

St Margaret, martyr of the 3rd century having defeated a dragon, is invoked in case of storms and floods. Moreover, the families of the hamlet always ring the bells in case of hail.

Sources: explanatory panel + Wikipedia
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.